oilman

Oil advice and recommendations here

Its a semi synthetic, the quality choice is for a full synthetic. They protect a lot better.

Cheers

Guy

That totally goes against what G-werks recommend for the G-lader superchargers.

Synthetic is a big no no apparently.

From memory when i had my Missus G60 serviced it is not good for the Apex strips iirc.

Sometimes whats best on paper is not necessarily the best choice.

Hi Oilman, got a problem help needed. Got a 16v on 165k was using castrolgtx high mile which used oil so changed to mobil semi and using same amount of oil but blue smoke has got worse especially when engines hot. Dont want gtx again but i think i need a semi with seal conditioner in it,is there such an oil?

Also have you considered selling Forte products on your site,there meant to be good. Thanks for any info.

We dont sell additives, mainly becuase they are generally not needed and many can do more harm then good. You could try using a thicker oil SAE50 so 10w-50 or 15w-50 this should slow down the usage.

Cheers

Guy

hi

does oil go "off" at all as ive got a shed load (literally) of mobil1 0/40 that ive had for about 5 years now but im thinking its a bit thin for a 150k vr6 so im using fuch titan xtr 10/40 semi syn, which im told is a good oil and is quite cheap as i use alot for my other service work so i buy it in 20litre bottles is this oil suitable for a 150k vr6 that is occasionally tracked and sees oil temps of 130 deg? im guessing its at the top end of the scale for this oil!? but i use about 2 litres a month so its constantly refreshed!!! is it worth trying the mobil or will it just burn it even quicker?

also ive heard that mobil1 doesnt burn with blue smoke is this true?

also our pump oil is mobil super syn 5/40 would this be any better

or i have got access to some 5/30 synthetic cant remember the manufacturer but its "sm" graded but im thinking really too thin

cheers for any advice

andy

Ok, the XTR 10w-40 semi synthetic it a good one, but to be honest on track at 130degc its really going to struggle as its just not deisgned for that.

The shelf life of the oil sealed is around 4-5years so give it a good shake and give it ago as it will cope with 130degc much better then a semi, the reason why there is no blue smoke is because the synthetics burn clean, mineral based oils have the blue tinge to the smoke.

The Synt S is ok but not as good as the 0w-40 so between the 10w-40 XTR and the Mobil 1 0w-40.

Our choicve would be the ester based Silkolene Pro S 10w-50 here http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1145-silkol ... gines.aspx

Cheers

Guy

Hi Oilman

I'm just about to have my Corrado VR6 serviced and the garage has come back with two different options for me.

Either 10w40 semi synthetic or 5w30 fully synthetic castrol.

Which would be best for my car?

Cheers

A synthetic 10w-40 or 5w-40, but if they aren't giving you that option, go for the 10w-40 semi. Just take the oil yourself next time

Hi Oilman,

I am doing an oil change next weekend if I get a full pack from you with oil and filter does this include a seal for the filter?

Also my VR is on 102,200 =miles no oil leaks and goes well what oil would you recommend;

Cheers Andy

The filters come with what you'd get from VW, so if the VW one has the seal, so does the UFI one.

I would use a 5w-40 synthetic and you will find those through the link below.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Gulf Formula G, Fuchs Supersyn and Mobil Synt S are good, cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Tim

So, put your oil questions here but please give the following information if you would like a recommendation:

Make: Volkswagen

Model: Corrado VR6

Year: 1995

Engine size/type: 2861cc V6

Any mods: Basically standard, only K+N panel filter

Type of use (road/track): I live in Germany, so I'm flat out on the Autobahn now and again. Sometimes getting oil temps of 120-130+ when I'm doing this, but then again I am driving at 120-148mph... Also use it as a daily driver, so short journeys and sometimes long, long drives back to the UK.

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used): Pretty sure its got Shell Helix in there at the moment 10/40. I change the oil every 5000 miles, and service the car at every 10,000 miles. I've got a service coming up in 2000 miles.

What do you want a recommendation for? Engine, Gearbox etc?: The car has 98,000 miles on it now, so keeping the engine/car in as good nick as possible, its my pride and joy, but does get a bit of abuse now and again.

I hope this will help and become a useful thread

Regards

Guy

With that kind of use I would go synthetic for sure. A semi synthetic is going to be having a hard time at 120degc and could shear down. What brands can you get out there, Motul, Fuchs/Silkolene, Redline etc?

Cheers

Guy

In that case something like Silkolene Pro S, Motul 300V, Millers CFS, Redline or Gulf Competition are the ones to go for

Alright mate

1994 VR6

Induction Kit

Use the car for shortish journeys in the week but sometimes longer ones on the weekend, always wondered what oil would be best. Usually just stick to VAG stuff

Thanks

AJ

Hi Oilman,

I need your help?

I have a 2.8 VR6 Corrado (Mk4 golf VR6 Conversion), which has a stage 3 supercharger set-up running 300BHP (FMIC, Oil cooler, high lift cams etc...)

What kind of oil should I buy and how much do I need?

Never runs over 104 degrees and the engine has done around 90,000 miles.

Thanks

oilman...need some help! tell me what to buy from your site!

Corrado VR6

1994 (139,000 miles)

no mods (other than exhaust)

normal-fast road use

normal oil temps = 100-116 (haven't had a hot, traffic journey yet so expect this to be higher)

after some engine oil and anything you can suggest that may lower oil temps in any way or help engine to cope with them. don't want the cheapest but not the most expensive either. always happy with a deal!

cheers

Details as requested

Make - VW

Model - Corrado

Year - 1992

Engine size/type - 2.8 V6 (Currently 75,000 miles on the clock) manual , with A/C

Any mods - Stock (Well just installed the OE updated 10 pin Radiator fan control modeule)

Type of use - Daily drive. 40% of that stuck in traffic or slow speeds.

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used) - Current oil used by previous owner is Castrol Full synthetic.

Average ambient temp is 90-95 F.

A recommendation for engine oil please?

Hi. oilman. Sorry not corrado related but wondered if you could advise? (didn't get answer from Audi Forum yet,) My wife has a 1.8 t quattro avant 2002 as in title it has done 114000m and has started to use a little oil (Is this normal?) Plugs look good no fouling or wetness, no visible leaks around engine or bay. Did recover from the black death(oil pick-up pipe replaced) last year, had complete compression and diagnostic check afterwards,all OK. Car runs well and pulls well. question i'm asking is should I be putting a thicker oil in now to compensate for wear? still using recommended 5W-30, I know this is an old school trick to 'up' compression in old engines is this still relevant? my thinking being a slightly thicker oil wouldnt get past the piston rings quite so easily if it 'was' being burnt? do have slight turbo whine but was told not to worry about this? engine runs cool if anything. any suggestions, please, thanks. Vince. P.S. Apologies if anybodys read this before in the engine bay section,I have only just found this thread (doh) :?

Are there any deals/discounts on oil at the moments? Having read the thread im looking at getting 6 litres of Silkolene pro s 10w50

Hi oilman, i recently went with the motul 10w50 competition stuff and it seemed great in that my mpg jumped up by about 4mpg, was slightly concerned with my oil temps how ever. Driving on the motorway at around 80 with a high ambient temp of 24-26 my oil temps managed to reach 126. Is this explainable by the high ambients alone?

Anyone in the need for any oil advice or recommendations?

We've now got our End Of Season Sale running, so it's a good time to pay us a visit!

cheers

oilman