GwynnyG60

Removing rear disks

The rear disk setup on the carrado is different to what I have worked on before. Can someone talk me though whipping them off? thanks

I believe you need to..

Callipers off

Carriers off

Disk off

The stupid rear wheel bearings are also pressed into the disk, so you'll need new bearings in order to get the buggers back on too.

Gonna have a crack at mine in a week or so... :?

Remove the rear calipers and carriers by undoing the 2 bolts on the carrier to caliper and the 2 hex bolts from carrier to suspension arm.

Now tap off the grease cap from the center of the disc by tapping one side then the other.

Then unbend the split pin from under the cap and withdraw the locking cap. Undo the nut and remove.

The brake disc will now pull straight off easily.

Refit is the above in reverse. Do not tighten the nut as you will damage the bearings! only a strong finger tight. Renew the split pin and recharge the end cap with grease but not packed with grease.

Thats how its done.

Do you really need to replace the bearings even if you've just taken them off? Its a similar setup in the drums on the polo but you can re-use the bearing if its ok.

Please excuse me if I'm being thick.

if you are changing the disk's you will need to change the bearing as it cant really be removed without damaging it, new bearings are very cheap though so its hardly worth re-using them.

If you are just removing the disk to clean it up or get access to the stub axle then it should be fine to fit it straight back on.

you will need someone with a press or bearing installation tool to fit the new bearing seats into the disk though.

If you freeze the part of the bearing that sits in the disc. And heat the disc you'll find they fit a lot easier.

Two things can make this simple job very much more difficult.

Firstly the hexagon socket screws (8mm) that hold the carrier to the suspension arm can be very difficult to undo, as they are inaccessible, get rusted in, covered in crud, and easily round out. Give them a really good overnight soaking in WD40/Plusgas before attempting to undo them, then clear all muck and rust scale out of the socket head, hammer your hex-wrench in hard then undo. They are done up tightly and have a serrated underside to the head to stop them from loosening unintentionally.

Secondly, make sure that you have the proper tool to wind the caliper piston back in; it will not simply push in. And be prepared for the bellows-type dust seal to turn with the piston and tear; very gently prise it free to loosen it in the groove in the piston to ensure that it doesn't stick.

To drive the new bearing outer track into the recess in the disc, use a suitable socket or mandrel. My advice is to use genuine VAG bearings; they are maybe £5 more expensive, but there are some shockingly bad pattern parts around which you should avoid. New seals and split pins of course. You may find that the new grease caps won't fit the discs- use the old ones one you have cleaned them out.

Make sure to tranfer the ABS cages fron the rear of the discs to the new ones. CAREFULLY prise them off, wire brush them and lighty tap them onto the new discs. If you distort them, you'll get an error message from your ABS warning light. New ones are about £10 each

As said above, do not overtighten the hub retaining nuts; the thrust washer should be just about moveable with a screwdriver pushed against one side of it.

Clean all rust scale from the caliper carriers. Fit new pads, and use copper grease on the sliding surfaces of the backing plates.Ideally use new bolts with thread compound to hold the calipers to the carriers.

just tried to remove my calipers and they have rounded the allen key heads..!!!!

just tried to remove my calipers and they have rounded the allen key heads..!!!!

Sounds like you need the Irwin Bolt Removers. I did this job yesterday, the bolts very nearly rounded over but came out ok in the end. I bought the Irwins just incase. New carrier bolts are very cheap from TPS if you haven't already got some. Don't forget the bearing kits. Have you bought new discs then? Again cheap from TPS, mine were £14 each for gen ones. New ABS rings are about £11-12. Hope it goes well mate.

Edited by 8vMatt
Forgot about buying the abs rings.

yea use either the irwin bolt grips or hammer in a 12 point bit, similar to torx, this is what i used on mine as they also rounded,i would also recomend buying new abs rings aswell.

Sounds like you need the Irwin Bolt Removers. I did this job yesterday, the bolts very nearly rounded over but came out ok in the end. I bought the Irwins just incase. New carrier bolts are very cheap from TPS if you haven't already got some. Don't forget the bearing kits. Have you bought new discs then? Again cheap from TPS, mine were £14 each for gen ones. New ABS rings are about £11-12. Hope it goes well mate.

irwin bolt removers..? any links to a good set

I know what you're saying, I paid £18 for the expansion pack. Is it worth buying both sets? Can't see there's much difference in them?

I've just got the starter set, but the expansion set provides a greater range of sizes. Probably only worth buying if you come up against something which doesn't fit any of the starter sockets.

got everything off now with the help of the irwin bolt grips..!! do you have to remove the carriers to remove the pads and wind back the piston...?

got everything off now with the help of the irwin bolt grips..!! do you have to remove the carriers to remove the pads and wind back the piston...?

no, you can take the calipers off without taking the carriers off