Sign in to follow this  
quicky1980

Strange Handleing, or am I just going mad?

Going round corners at normal driving speed it feels as if the car wants to spin round when I hit relatively big bumps. I'm thinking maybe the rear axle mounts are wearing/worn out. Would this cause this bad handling. Car feels planted normally.

Sounds very much like rear axle bushes. They get all soft and sloppy so the back end doesn't feel very planted.

thats bound to be number 1 reason as per Dom comment. Otherwise also check top mounts of rear suspension, a free and easy inspection for you. Whereas bushes are a nutter and expensive!?!

presume you've not twiddled with wheels or tyres recently? I remember new rubber being nightmare, with 8mm of new tread wobbling all over the place. Also would note that miss-matched tyres or wheels can affect too; affecting slip angle.

I have fitted new tyres on the car, and does seem to have had this bad handleing sensation since this. Its possibly related then. I am thinking of rebuilding the rear beam anyway so will be able to tell for sure in the near future. thanks guys

Yup Mine felt all on it's toes first time I went out on new rubber Resulted in a very disconcerting Wobble at *cough* NOT 120!

However have a good look at rear top mounts and also check shock/springs aren't shagged..

you'll need a few hundred miles on new tyres for them to settle down though, especially if you didn't have alignment done after fitting them.

ive done around 1000miles on th tyres so far, had the tracking and camber done last month. Will check the mounts, the shocks should be ok as i put coilie on a few months back. thanks guys for your input.

The handling you describe could easily be worn / loose rear bearings. You'd be surprised how only a degree or two of play makes the car feel like it's been on the beers for a night.

HTH

John

The handling you describe could easily be worn / loose rear bearings. You'd be surprised how only a degree or two of play makes the car feel like it's been on the beers for a night.

HTH

John

I fitted new bearings when I changed the wheels, but will check they are as they should be, Thanks