Sign in to follow this  
junkie

Taking bits off engines G60

Can the inlet manifold come off the engine without taking the injectors and rail off on a G60?

Anybody know how to remove a very tight nut thats rounded off?

Not sure in the inlet mani question, probably more of a "get stuck in and see" job, but for the rounded nut you need a set of these:

http://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-394001-Bolt ... B0000CCXVZ

Best add-on for my tool kit and absoutly essential for getting off those bloody allen bolts that VW used everywhere, and that local spanner monkeys still dont know how to undo properly! :bad-words:

Dan

Yep - Irwin bolt grippers are awesome!

In theory you can get the inlet off (obviously you need to remove the brackets etc) but it is alot easier with the rail out the way.

This pic might help you -

Cheers Dan i def need 1 of those kits, anybody know where i can get a set locally kind of thing as i need them asap really.

Basically i am trying to sort out the blowing gasket i have and i have traced it out to the gasket thats between the turbo exhaust housing to downpipe, but who ever thought it was a good idea to mount a turbo behind the engine under the inlet manifold is an idiot lol.

I have got 4 out of 5 bolts removed but the last 1 i cant see but could get a socket on with an extension bar, it was turning but very slowly and 1/8th of a turn each time but was very very tight, kept going and all felt good, slipped a couple of times and thats enough for it to be rounded off enough so it cant grip anymore, how does those socket grips grip on a rounded head then?

So all this above means i need to get the inlet mani off to see what im working on, is it only those allen key bolts that hold it on as thats all i can see, do i need to put a new gasket on the things i take off, suppose i may as well do whilst im in there.

Yeah - as long as you can get the access to get a socket round the head of the bolt the bite into them and get them out - even brand new pefectly round ones...

Screwfix sell them cheaper than anywhere and I think the trade counters are doing 10% off at the moment altho that might have been till yesterday...

Make sure you buy a genuine VAG gasket which comes with some sealant already on it - the GSF ones are awful and even the ones in the Elring headsets are poor compared to the real thing - also make sure you get the right one as there was a change in engine number.

I take it the inlet mani has a different gasket to the exhaust gasket then too, as in its 2 gaskets and not 1 for the lot?

Yep, inlet mani can come off without the rail, you just have to remove the bolt that holds the fpr to the manifold...and obviously the 13mm bolt at the back connecting to exhaust mani :) And it then pulls up and over.

Can you manage to knock a socket onto the bolt? Depending which one it is you may need an extension on the socket, pretty tight back there though.

Neil.

I can get a 14mm socket on which is the size and it grips fairly well till you put pressure on so i doubt i can get a 13mm or equivilant in imperial, too tight to try and knock something on too.

Riley, where is this 13mm nut thats connected to the inlet and exhaust as i suspect i no longer have that.

Aye, it is pretty tight to get in there...The bolt is on the 2nd inlet tract across in the pic 8)

Whats the ffs for mate? Spotted a problem ? :(

Yea spotted a problem, its called a G60 engine

The downpipe gasket is def blowing but im not sure if the exhaust manifold to head or manifold to turbo is foobared too, just had a look now its in the daylight and on the underneath of the inlet mani there is black soot which i think looks like something has been blowing onto it.

Yea spotted a problem, its called a G60 engine

I hear ya mate :lol: :(

Maybe just feck it and replace the lot for peace of mind? Definately worth buying all new bolts/nuts before attempting it though, just incase they are needed :)

Yep come to that conclusion now, basically i can get 5 out of 6 studs out that hold the inlet mani on, 3rd from left in the pic is unaccessable due to the design of the exhaust mani, the turbo bolts on right there, so its an engine out jobby.

As it stands this is the last chance for this engine, i really really do love its character with bags and bags of low to mid grunt and mid to high power, but it needs a rethink, so whilst its out its geting rebuilt/upgraded again.

It def needs a cross flow head, im going to stick with the 8v though, forged rods to up the boost slightly ( i am determind to get it running 2 bar) ARP studs/bolts etc, new custom inlet mani and a rethink on the pipework/intercooler most likely.

Can a mod do the honours of moving this thread into my members gallery please.