Sign in to follow this  
RIMnCHOP

help

hello every1 ive recently had a snapped driveshaft had it replaced everything seamed fine. but there is a loud clunking sumtimes if iset off fast or when i really nail the power. it tends to happen in 2nd an 1st. iam very confused as people have said it is the gearbox ,clutch, engine mounts ???? so any help would be much appreciated

took her 4 a spin earlier and it definitely happens when i put the power on so iam stumped :confused4: :mad2:

If you're still driving it I doubt it's a snapped driveshaft, more likely a CV joint or something?

If you're still driving it I doubt it's a snapped driveshaft, more likely a CV joint or something?

Yes, this sounds like an inner CV joint. I had this problem.

Which driveshaft did you get replaced? Passenger side? Is it a VR6? Did they just replace the shaft or shaft plus CV joints?

The driver's side (UK cars) inner CV joint is only about an inch away from the exhaust and the heat dries out the grease to a black powdery mess and then the whole thing will just wear itself away.

it is a 93vr6 and it was the passenger side shaft which was replaced

Well, it sounds like the inner CV joint of the driver's side may be about to go.

Here's something you can try. Jack up the car and carefully rotate the driver's side front wheel and see if you can feel and unnatural resistance at a particular point. You may get a click as it goes past that point, but I didn't until it was totally shot and clicked all the time.

If you get this resistance, at the same point in the rotation every time, then I'd suggest it's the driver's inner CV joint that's dried out. See my description in this post:

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=69094#p803668

CHEERS GUYS much appreciated for the help. there is definitly sum resistance as th wheel goes round but the clunking only happens under hard aceleration. will get it down to garage at weekend an get em sorted. is it a big job an will i be eating bread an jam for week due to the cost hahaha cheers guys :D

CHEERS GUYS much appreciated for the help. there is definitly sum resistance as th wheel goes round but the clunking only happens under hard aceleration. will get it down to garage at weekend an get em sorted. is it a big job an will i be eating bread an jam for week due to the cost hahaha cheers guys :D

Mine started like that, but after a few years (!) it got to the stage where it was doing it (the clunk) on any acceleration, sometimes at steady speed and even on engine braking.

Is it just one clunk when you first jump on the throttle, or is it a constant clunking all the time you have the the throttle down?

if its one clunk it could be dead engine mount, worn suspension bush, top mount bearing or ball joint.

if its constant its most likely a cv joint.

ive found the problem!! AT LAST :D it was a totally knackered rear engine mount and a knackered inner cv joint. :mad2: :shock: its getting fixed as we speak so i can finally start getting it sorted for bugjam :D

ive found the problem!! AT LAST :D it was a totally knackered rear engine mount and a knackered inner cv joint. :mad2: :shock: its getting fixed as we speak so i can finally start getting it sorted for bugjam :D

I believe that worn engine mounts can put serious stress on inner CV joints if bad enough.

I reckon a lot of VR6 owners are going to have this problem soon as the off-side inner CV joint is very very close to the exhaust, with no protection from the heat.