Sign in to follow this  
aclwalker

Crack pipe burst - VR6!

v good writeup acl.

I tried to remove my new alloy crackpipe during te disassembly but it absolutely refused to budge, although it would pivot quite easily in the opening. Any suggestions for getting it out?

I would suggest trying to twist it and rock it back and forth. You will need a serious amount of pulling force too. You will likely wreck the seal but they're not that expensive and you'd be wanting to put new ones on anyway.

Just be very careful with the backs of your hands. When it suddenly frees off there's a lot of sharp stuff around that can tear chunks out your hands.

v good writeup acl.

I tried to remove my new alloy crackpipe during te disassembly but it absolutely refused to budge, although it would pivot quite easily in the opening. Any suggestions for getting it out?

I would suggest trying to twist it and rock it back and forth. You will need a serious amount of pulling force too. You will likely wreck the seal but they're not that expensive and you'd be wanting to put new ones on anyway.

Just be very careful with the backs of your hands. When it suddenly frees off there's a lot of sharp stuff around that can tear chunks out your hands.

I think i'll jut leave it at the moment. If it leaks i'll take it apart, and you're right, i dont fancy ripping my hand to pieces.

good pics, i did the same job not long ago but didn't replace the oil cooler hoses, even though i did all the rest, thinking back, maybe i should of.

can they be done you reckon withot taking car apart? i forgot to check this....

my block looked the same as yours, rusty and oily in the same places.

how many miles has your corrado done and what year is it?

Sorry, 3corsameal, I seem to have missed this post of yours.

I think it would be very difficult to replace these hoses without taking the front off again, and there's a danger of damaging the crack pipe again.

My Corrado has now done almost 202,000 miles and is 1994.

This is a great write up, I am about to attempt this job shortly.

I had a look at the metal crack pipe from GruvenParts (I'm just using the plastic VW one tho) and found a link to this (how to install their crack pipe) which also seems very useful;

http://gruvenparts.com/website/diys/crack%20pipe%20installation.htm

Includes a major warning about how poisonous G12+ is, including the phrase 'SLOW and PAINFUL death'... :gag: so maybe wear gloves if you are going to lube the pipe seal with coolant!! lol

I hadn't budgeted on all the tools and effort needed for this job so I am definitely going to go and buy other hoses/clips and the thermostat etc to replace at the same time