Sign in to follow this  
neo3670

Replacing a complete vr6 engine

Hi everyone, My 1995 vr6 engine has done 190,000 miles and needs a rest! I have got a younger abv code replacement, but really want to have a go at changing the engines over myself !?! Although competent, I have no prior engine or vr6 experiance! I will change the clutch at the same time, and could really do with a guide or manual. Anyone got any ideas?

Its not that hard, as long as you have a hoist its straightforward. Its much harder to convert a non vr to vr spec lol.

Just unplug all the hoses to the bulk head, un-clamp the exhaust. PAS pump can stay on to save beelding the system and same goes with the clutch slave cylinder. If you need any help pm me and we can chat on msn or via phone. Where abouts are you, if your close Ill give you a hand? I may be interested in the old engine too, need one for a rebuild.

Bentley manual is the best manual for corrado's but a haynes one on the golf vr6 will cover the info you need.

Tbh its not hard just time consuming. Make sure you take pictures of EVERYTHING and label all the bolts and connectors you undo. Prior to opening a connector take apicture and then label it with masking tape. You cant go wrong. Also, if the engine crane has a swivel you'll be okay. prob abot £20 to hire. Whilst you're there, replace the chains and tensioners of your replacement engine. Give me a shout if you want any input, and you can certainly have a look at the pics on my 'engine tapping noise' thread. Anyway, there are others far more qualified than I on the forum, so you wont ahve much problem there.

Thanks for the input guys. Unfortunately, I'm at the bottom of the world in Falmouth, Cornwall, otherwise I would really appreciate a bit of help!! Fortunately, my brother in law has come to my rescue, he's a great mechanic, but always too busy, however, pulled a few strings!! I'm gonna replace the clutch, flywheel, clutch, belt and chain (What parts/makes would be good?). Anything else I should consider, whilst the engines out?

I wouldn't necessarily replace the flywheel unless you want a lightweight version,

Just a skim is all it will need even at that mileage.

Thanks tandino, was thinking of getting a light weight flywheel, but for the cost, may as well stick with the original!

So just an update for anyone who's interested...or not! Found a replacement engine on ebay, 2.9 ABV code vr6, lovely jubbly! Got delivered only to find out it was a 2.8 AAA!!! 5 months later still trying to get paypal to refund me as the return address isnt valid!!! Decided to repair original lump, skimmed it, new clutch, chain etc. Put it back together, ran but rough, undid bell housing, water everywhere!! Reckon its the bottom end water jacket thats the problem now so need a new block! Bugger. So am now looking for another 2.9 engine, and have a 2.8 and the original 2.9!! Thinking of starting a new ebay shop for corrado engine spares!! Got to get my money back somehow! I do also have a 3.9 v8 range rover engine sitting doing nothing, wonder if i could get that to fit?? I could invent a new strain of corrado, the VRRRV8! Any ideas?

If you want my honest opinion i wouldnt be that bothered about getting an ABV over an AAA.

My car (1995 VR) had an AAA in when i bought it, i had a slight chain issue and found an ABV which i fitted,

To be honest there is absolutely nothing in it performance wise, my AAA used 1 litre of oil in 6000 miles, my ABV uses a litre every 1500....

I think its much easier to find a good AAA than it is to find a good ABV due to the type of car they were fitted to and knowing what i do now i wouldnt pay any premium at all for an ABV over an AAA....

Hope it turns out ok for you.

Cheers Pete.

I`m with tandino, just put the 2.8 in it that you have and forget the paypal problems. Unless your caining it all the time the little difference there is will not be noticed ?

Oh and V8 from a land rover ? 125 or 140 bhp :lol: If my l plate 110 was owt to go by ? It`s a none event :nono: :scratch: