Sign in to follow this  
coolrado

which power steering pump for a 91 G60

anyone know which power steering pump i have on my 1991 G60, it started clicking yesterday and i think the bearings may have started to collapse

I can get hold of which ever one i need but i dont know which one it should be.

Is there any way to identify it?

yeah i had a search but it seems as if there is a choice of either a ZF or TRW? rack and pump and they cant be interchanged, hmm will keep searching or maybe find out if I can change the bearing with the help of a mate of mine.

cheers, feel free to lock

Nah, I'm trying to cut down :lol:

It would be interesting to see how you get on, didn;t you get the pump blasted when you changed the engine - you don't think that damaged it do you?

Mines rusty as fook but still seems silent and working ok, good to know if you can change a bearing tho?

nah there is no way it got any glass bead in it when it was blasted, it had three layers of duck tape over any of the bits that could be damaged, and a layer of grease over the seals just to catch anything that might have got through, the bead blaster is quite gentle and wont even go through 1 layer of tape that quickly, and when i removed the tape it was all still clean.

there is still a slight possibillity that the pump is fine and the pulley is just loose but i torqued it up so it should be fine.

the fluid i removed from it before the engine rebuild was a sort of browny green so it may have had the wrong fluid in the past which wont have helped, I had never changed or topped the fluid up as the level never dropped.

The belt was a bit loose last week and i tightened it up last weekend and it seemed fine at the time.

its the original pump though so i wouldnt be surprised if its just reached the end of its life.

Yeah, maybe not unlikely that a 15 year old part dies shortly after a new belt and fluid...

That fluid does go blackish with age but as you said brown I wonder if there is some rust somewhere in the system (worth checking this before new pump time)

I've had noises after changing fluid but this goes quickly (I always prime by hand first as they don't like being run dry) but the noise you are getting sounds like a valve or bearing as you say...

Yeah, maybe not unlikely that a 15 year old part dies shortly after a new belt and fluid...

That fluid does go blackish with age but as you said brown I wonder if there is some rust somewhere in the system (worth checking this before new pump time)

I've had noises after changing fluid but this goes quickly (I always prime by hand first as they don't like being run dry) but the noise you are getting sounds like a valve or bearing as you say...

I was thinking it looked like a mix of green and red, so probably a mix of the proper power steering fluid and the atf fluid that some people use by mistake.

its a rapid clicking that gets quieter when i turn the steering and can be easily heard over the sound of the engine and toothed belt, the sound is definately coming from the pump as the sound matches the speed that the pump is spinning at it has done about 2500 miles since the rebuild so should have shown up sooner it there was something in the system.

I will whip it off when i get home and have a proper look at it, and i suppose i could allways run it without the belt for a short while until i get the new pump sorted.

It's ok i'm officially a muppet :lol: :lol: :lol: :cuckoo:

i made sure that when i blasted and painted the pump and pulley that i didn't paint the mating surfaces on the pump and pulley, unfortunately i seem to have put the pulley on the wrong way round when i put it all back together, so although i torqued the bolts up the paint has crushed down and allowed the pulley to become loose :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

flipped it round, re torqued it and its fine.

mods please lock, or ridicule me and change my status to forum muppet if you want, i deserve it.

Nice one mate, glad i didn't lock it now - cheers for letting us know what happened as i'm sure this will happen again to someone at some point!