Sign in to follow this  
redwoodkp

bit more advice needed on valver!!

Would much appreciate some help. Got a new temp sensor from a local motor spares and not sure if its the right one for my 1.8 valver?? Is this the right part (below)??

If not could anyone tell me what the right part is or what it looks like??

If it is where the hell is it based?? Have done searches for a few days now but just seem to be gettin people mentioning they changed it or know how to change it without going into detail!! Obviously I am useless but could do with the help!! :D

Thanks Kieran

the water temperature sensors (there are 3 the same) are all on the right hand end of the head around the water outlet, they're much smaller than that, 13mm hex around them (IIRC) and are black with a single male spade connector sticking out.

that sender looks like an 8v one to me, the type that sits in a plastic water flange with a circlip holding it in place, definately not 16v.

the other sensors on the 16v include another small sensor just around the back of the head from the water ones,but this one is oil temp.

and then a 3 pin (2 speed) fan switch on the radiator and a fan run on switch on the front leftmost cam cover nut, just under the fuel lines.

the two senors on top of the oil filter housing are in fact oil pressure sensors, white and black and sometimes one blue if it's been relpaced by a more recent VW part.

two of the 3 water temp sensors are arrowed in the picture, one is underneath the hose out of sight

Thought i had the wrong one!! Was changing the water outlet flange on sat and noticed the part i had went nowhere. Had seen this part on the 8v golf before so confused me :?

Thanks very much for the help will go to vw tomorrow and get the right one plus some new g12+ :D

So went today to track down a sensor as davidwort advised (many thanks).

All i culd find was the whats in the pic below. Pardon my ignorance but do you have to swap the spades over from old to new part or is this not the right one?? Part no. 049 919 501 is this the right one?? :?

Also I believe all three sensors in that area are identical so is it worth changing them all at once?? If not can anyone tell me which is which by the wires please?!

All helps would be much appreciated

Kieran

yellow/red wire is temp gauge, other 1 is sensor for isv i think. all the same sensors except 1 may have a male spade sticking out

yellow/red wire is temp gauge, other 1 is sensor for isv i think. all the same sensors except 1 may have a male spade sticking out

yup, that's right. thermotime switch for the ISV is red/green (basically allows the car to run well from a cold start, mine is broke and so car run lumpy until it is warm).

There is NO blue temp sensor on a KR 16v, that is only 8v as davidwort suggested.

yup, that's right. thermotime switch for the ISV is red/green (basically allows the car to run well from a cold start, mine is broke and so car run lumpy until it is warm).

There is NO blue temp sensor on a KR 16v, that is only 8v as davidwort suggested.

Cheers for help, problem is though i can only find the above part and it doesn't have a spade connector on it just exactly as th pic above. Is this the right part and if so do you transfer the old spade across to create the electrical feed?? :?

What problem are you trying to fix? are you looking for the radiator temp switch? that what the one in the pic looks like but they usualy have two or three pins :scratch: , it screws into the front of the rad?

No Dave I think he means the 1-pin connectors.

The golden pic you showed up there is perfectly fine. You slide the connector across the top round bit sideways, instead of having a little spade that sticks out.

I fitted one of those to my KR recently.

No Dave I think he means the 1-pin connectors.

The golden pic you showed up there is perfectly fine. You slide the connector across the top round bit sideways, instead of having a little spade that sticks out.

I fitted one of those to my KR recently.

Thanks boost monkey i know i talk a load of old shite sometimes so glad someone followed me!!

Exactly what i needed to hear and now fell stupid for such an easy answer!!

Will go back to gsf the morrow, not giving vag £23 + vat for one no chance will take a risk with the aftermarket one!! :salute:

I bought the vag one and it sheared on me :sad: half of it's still in the head.

Completely my fault, but was an expensive error! Lasted all off 10 mins! :cry:

I bought the vag one and it sheared on me :sad: half of it's still in the head.

Completely my fault, but was an expensive error! Lasted all off 10 mins! :cry:

Nightmare!!!! :mad2:

The first switch looks like the thermotime switch that tells the fan to switch off when coolant is below a certain temperature. It fits to the bottom of the radiator, nearside.

So went today to track down a sensor as davidwort advised (many thanks).

All i culd find was the whats in the pic below. Pardon my ignorance but do you have to swap the spades over from old to new part or is this not the right one?? Part no. 049 919 501 is this the right one?? :?

Also I believe all three sensors in that area are identical so is it worth changing them all at once?? If not can anyone tell me which is which by the wires please?!

All helps would be much appreciated

Kieran

that part number is correct for the water temp senders (049 919 501 0-125 deg 1 pin black), but i think the picture you have is of the oil temperature sender that goes just around the back of the head, that has a female spade connector in the loom that slides on the top of that sender, they are a similar colour and size, only the connection looks different.