Sign in to follow this  
funboxvr6

MOT Failure - Rear Axle Bushes

Hi All

Just got the dreaded call from my local garage (who uses third party for MOTs), VR6 has failed MOT on front discs pitted on the inside (fair enough) and rear axle bushes, both sides.

I have a few questions that I hope some of you clever chaps might help answer:

a) I've not noticed a difference in rear end handling. If the bushes were gone i'm guessing this would be noticable in handling/cornering and also maybe audible knocking too?

b) I was MOT'd by the same people last year (not sure if it was the same inspector) and no wear was noted or advisory given. Bearing in mind I've only driven it 1500 miles max in the last year (due to toddler & new baby etc), could they both have worn to the point of failure over this low useage?

c) Is there anything in particular about Corrado or VR6 bushes that are unusual & that might lead an MOT inspector to believe they are shot when they're not?

d) If they are gone, is it a big job? How much typically does it cost to replace with original VW/good aftermarket ones?

Any help you can give is really greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

If the rubber part of the bushes have started to come away from the metal outer shaped shoulder then it can look bad and I gues one tester might fail them even if the central sleeve and main part of the outer body were still bonded to the rubber, but I'd have thought they would have to have actual significant movement to fail them. I'd ask to speak to the actual tester.

Replacing them with the proper hydraulic press is pretty easy as the rear beam can stay on the car, shouldn't be more than an hours labour really. On the 4 cyl cars you wouldn't have to disconnect any brake lines either, although I'm not sure about the VR6 as the rear brake compensator is different.

If a garage had to remove the rear beam and replace the compensator and possibly replace brake line sections it could be a time consuming and costly job.

If the rubber part of the bushes have started to come away from the metal outer shaped shoulder then it can look bad and I gues one tester might fail them even if the central sleeve and main part of the outer body were still bonded to the rubber, but I'd have thought they would have to have actual significant movement to fail them. I'd ask to speak to the actual tester.

Replacing them with the proper hydraulic press is pretty easy as the rear beam can stay on the car, shouldn't be more than an hours labour really. On the 4 cyl cars you wouldn't have to disconnect any brake lines either, although I'm not sure about the VR6 as the rear brake compensator is different.

If a garage had to remove the rear beam and replace the compensator and possibly replace brake line sections it could be a time consuming and costly job.

having just taken the rear beam off my old valver, the brake line had to be disconnected on both sides, at the flexi (at the rear beam) / solid pipe join (which then runs across the beam) to actually get the axle bolts out, in order to drop the beam. maybe there was an easier way i didnt just see ?

If they are bad enought to actually fail an MOT then the car should feel like new when changed (depending on the state of the rest of the suspension of course)