Sign in to follow this  
carpoid

Powder Coating Wheels

As above, why do most people tend to powder coat wheels, particualy when refurbing BBS RS'. I'm half way through refurbing mine and have been advised not to powder coat the centres by an alloy wheel repairer who told me it peels alot easier.

He advised that i have them sprayed in 2 pack and then clear coat over the top, he had a freshly painted set of BBS LM's there and they did look really good.

Just wondering what the pro's and con's are of 2 Pack and Powder Coat on wheels....

Cheers

powder coat shouldnt peel, if anything its less likely to peel than 2k

According to the place that powder coated my BBS's it usually depends on the wheel as some manufacturers have a higher silica content in the alloy, and this can cause problems when being painted or powder coated, appearently when the wheel is heated during the curing process the silica can rise to the surface and cause problems, they also baked my wheels for 24 hours before they coated them to get rid of any moisture, and then gave them 2 coats of soft silver powder coat and 2 coats of powder coat laquer, and for 80quid all in including the chemical dip and media blasting it was pretty cheap as well.

a mate of mine had some wheels that had been painted with 2k and they where a perfect finish and did look really nice but he did say they where quite difficult to get the brake dust off and the laquer was becomming pitted by brake dust.

My BBS's are much easier to clean now than they where with the original paint, the brake dust seems to just wipe off really easily and doesnt leave any scratches.

you should get a much better choice if you choose 2k though as you can have pretty much any colour you want mixed for you, most powder coaters only stock a small range, although looking through the colour charts they had they can order pretty much anything in.

It may have been that his wheels hadnt been baked for long enough so the finish hadn't fully hardened.