Sign in to follow this  
8vtornado

melting central locking pumps

my new car seems to like melting the central locking pumps, its done it twice now, one of which was a brand new vw item.. not cheap!!! it has no door locks or door pins meaning iv had to climb in the boot and out the window a couple of times. not the best car to have to do that in! i did check all the lives n earths going to the unit and they all seemed fine, must be some sort of intermittent problem, has anyone else had this problem and how did you overcome it?

thanks

Are you sure that it's not running the whole time? That could cause it to overheat and melt. Can't think why a brand new pump would die otherwise.

Are you sure that it's not running the whole time? That could cause it to overheat and melt. Can't think why a brand new pump would die otherwise.

The result of a relay sticking closed/open?

thats what i thought, but it worked all right for a while, and it ran ok with the pump from my other corrado in while i waited for the new one to arrive. im pretty sure u can hear it lock, and unlock, just for like a second or two. it must be very intermittently getting stuck on. what could cause that?

there is no relay i can find for the central locking, thats exactly what i originally popped into my head straight away. any info on a relay for the pump wud be great, i looked in the bentley manual and cudnt seem to find any mention of one.