Sign in to follow this  
davidwort

VAG and GSF pattern 16v radiators - comparison

Finally got around to fitting a proper VAG 16v radiator to my 16v again, I've known for some time that the pattern radiators that GSF have sold as 16v ones aren't the correct design for the 16v, they're basically a small engined carb mk2 golf rad but because the fitting and dimensions are the same (430mm wide) they've been fitted by a lot of people in preference to shelling out over twice the money for a VAG one.

The main design difference (there's actually nothing wrong with the GSF quality) is that the VAG 16v radiator uses many thin (and flat) cross section tubes as the cooling elements whereas the pattern (golf 1.3) ones uses fewer round tubes that are 2 deep, i.e. when you look through the radiator you see fewer, wider spaced cross tubes that are cylindrical in cross section and each row has a second tube behind it.

Hopefully you can see what I mean in the pictures below.

The interesting thing is the temperature runs much the same on my 2L engine in traffic and steady cruising but the difference seems to be in the efficiency when the revs rise and the water pumps faster, it will cool a hot system back down to normal very quickly i guess due to the greater surface area of the genuine radiator, the genuine radiator really does work very efficiently for it's size.

£101.96 + VAT for the genuine VAG radiator, part no 191 121 253 L, made by DENSO MARSDEN, in England!

With all due respect davidwort, 16v GSF radiators are useless. I had one and the mounting pegs that hold it into the rad support panel didn't line up at all.

As this is a massive manufacturing fault, I have to disagree with you, sir, and say that there is plenty wrong with GSF quality in this instance.

Other items I have no problems using, but radiators from a factor are a no-no imo.

The real problem with GSF stuff is that 1 component can be supplied by several different manufacturers and it really is luck of the draw as to if you get a good pattern item or a bad one.

Good info on the odd adage that you get what you pay for there David, it just goes to show that a part of good quality is not only likely to last longer but does a better job too.