Sign in to follow this  
red-rado

Corrado 1.8 16v starting issues

Ive just done the rocker cover gasket on my corrado as it was leaking severely into 2 spark plug holes. I also gave it a full service whilst i was at it. Before I did this the car would start first time, everytime. However now it is pot luck whether it will start.

If it does start it will idle fine and very gentle movements on the throttle are fine but if the throttle is pressed harder it will just cut out straight away and will not restart (just turns over with no firing) Also, the fuel pump doesnt always prime when the ignition is turned on. Is it supposed to? Is there a fuse or a relay I can check? I have undone the fuel inlet on the metering head and fuel squirted out via the sides indicating there is pressure there but it still wont start.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Its a 1990 1.8 KR

Cheers.

I have checked the fuel pump fuse and it is intact. I have given the fuel pump and its relay a tap with the ignition on but it still isnt priming. The ISV doesnt buzz when the ignition is turned on, and no other relays click etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

When you did the rocker gasket, did you replace the smaller 4-ring gasket in the middle which is for the spark plug holes? It sounds like you might have done, but worth checking.

How do you know the fuel pump doesn't prime, are you just listening for it? Sometimes you can't always hear it (and to be honest, a loud pump means it's on it's way out I think?)

But yes, the fuel pump should prime AND the ISV should start vibrating at idle.

Sounds like you have probably knocked some sensors / wiring when you were doing the service, I'd advise you get back under the bonnet and double-check everything you touched.

Then triple-check it!

I did replace the central gasket around the spark plug holes as well.

When the fuel pump did prime it was easily audible and then buzzed when it was idling. Now I cant hear anything.

Also, i released the banjo bolt on the metering head and took all the pressure out of the system, i have turned it over and checked the line and there was no pressure there at all.

The engine started and idled fine after the service until the throttle was touched and then it instantly died and wouldnt restart. Surely if i'd have knocked a sensor it wouldnt have started or ran at all.