Sign in to follow this  
FIFTY50

Golf round headlamp conversion on rado?!

Hi. Newbie to the forum, had a 94 VR for a few years though. Headlights seem pretty pants and i noticed browsing the site some people have upgraded their headlamp wiring, does this make much difference?

I was contemplating the fitment of 4 of the large golf mk1/2 headlamps with a custom 3 bar grill so having 4 lights on dip and mainbeam, but do not know the height of these units, of if it'd be legal?! 5 and 1/2 inches is the maximum height that could fit on the rado, any info/ideas would be most welcomed or should i just beef up the loom and leave the lamps alone?!

Thanks.

personally mate i think it would look pants, I would either uprate the loom (which works pretty well) or fit hids into the headlamp. Ive got angel eye inpro headlamps which are bright enough.

Never seen it done, probably because it'll look shoit!

Changing the lamps won't sort it anyway mate, it's the voltage drop through the loom which causes the dimness (you only get about 10.5v at the lamps with original wiring)

Get the loom upgraded, did that on my old valver, saw 13.5v at the lamps after that. The best £30 I spent on her TBH.

Can't someone quickly Pshop this to see what it'd look like? :D

What people are saying about the relative light output is 100 per-cent right. I run a Mark 2 GTi as well as my VR6 and trust me, the lights as standard are no better. It's all about voltage drop between battery and lights, they both have the same issues and the same answer, which is to run an uprated loom.

If you do that and swap the bulbs out either for either uprated ones like the Philips 80% brighter ones or the Hella alternatives or illegal high watt rally bulbs, it'll make a massive difference. If you do the latter you also need to uprate the fuses to suit and beware scorched reflectors. I've done that to both the Golf and the 'rado and it makes a huge difference. The lights on both are now crazy bright - about the same level - and more than up to hammering along Peak District twisties at night.

One other thing, personally I wouldn't put some cheap HID conversion kit in the standard Corrado headlights. I tried it and the light pattern was absolutely bloody awful. The same kit actually worked pretty well in the Golf with round headlights, but clearly didn't like the design of the 'rado lights. They were also pants on main beam and the mix of HID light and halogen spots was weird and quite nasty to drive with. I'd simply go with the uprated loom and uprated bulbs solution, headlight bulbs age and lose efficiency, if you haven't changed yours, they could be well past it and been in there for five years or something.

As far as aesthetics go. It sounds awful. If you want rounded lights, InPros give you a bit of that and are more likely to work with an HID kit if you want to go that way. HIDs generally are designed to work with projectors rather than reflector headlights, so while a halogen projector won't be perfect with an HID kit, it's likely to be a lot better than with reflectors.

That's my take on it anyway after mucho wallying around with headlights :? I actually have some Bosch HID projectors / HID ballasts and bulbs, brand new ones, sitting under the stairs. I was going to retrofit them into the 'rado lights, but to be honest, the uprated halogens are so good, that I don't really see the point, though I might do it one day anyway just to see if I can :D

my take is also stay away from standard lights with after market hid kits its got a terrible beam pattern , but the inpros have a crisp sharp beam and are absolutely faultless with hids in , but always use a good quality kit if you get it for 30 quid off ebay excpect 30 quids worth of hids :salute:

Heya, Thanks v. much matt/paul & mystic if u type like me u must hav been there ages! cheers.

Sum1 said about paintshopping it, don't have that but tried on ms paint and basically looks more like a mk1 rocco with a different bumper than anything, but i guess that was pretty obvious from the start. Not keen on the inpros as they look a bit chav/BMW to my mind.

Anyways, if it's as you say mystic; the voltage, i'll go 4the loom upgrade. It'd make sense as I bought some bosch 100watters and tbh could barely see any difference! Currently got some reasonably new halfords own brand "extra brilliance gold" or something or other bulbs in there, H4 standard wattage and they have been the best but still leave a lot to be desired.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a loom upgrade? Do people use

2 relays- 1 dip 1 main,

3- h4 dip, h4 main and spots main, or

6- h4 left/right dip, h4 l/r main and spots?!

3 would make most sense i'd have thought?

cheers.

less of the chav they come in black you know :D

theres headlamp covers on them before you say they dont fit properly round the edges.

did you mean this vomit inducing nastyness?

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfyellow-corrado-passanger.jpg[/attachment:j6kdo286]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdf3353975317.jpg[/attachment:j6kdo286]

Wasn't it one of a couple of 4wd factory concepts?

Or the strictly foreign ones

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfff_3.jpg[/attachment:j6kdo286]

Or the Nothelle

IMG%20Corrado%20Nothelle.jpg[/attachment:j6kdo286]

Nothelle, Rothelle, potato, tomato, Badger!!! I was 95% right. Well nearly anyway. That's the one I was talking about. Doesn't suit the lines of the Corrado at all IMHO.

Nothelle, Rothelle, potato, tomato, Badger!!! I was 95% right. Well nearly anyway. That's the one I was talking about. Doesn't suit the lines of the Corrado at all IMHO.

Yeah they are all mingers IMO :lol:

id like to see a twin square conversion i think that would work really well ,

sort of like my quattro was