Sign in to follow this  
mamboman

Fuel Gauge Issues - G60

Looking for some advice on a faulty fuel gauge. I have just replaced the ignition coil and ECU unit and discovered that my fuel gauge is reading half a tank when in fact the tank is full. The MPG reading is also way low. Any suggestions ?

In response to my own topic - managed to sort out the MPG reading, but the fuel gauge is still not happy. Is the fuel measured from within the tank or is there a sensor I could replace in the engine bay..somewhere? Please help! Cheers all.

AFAIK

it's in the fuel tank. Unscrew the big cap and pull out the pump. Should see the gauge has a metal arm coming off it with a float.

You can't replace the gauge, its part of the unit, assembely. You can re-uue the pump though.

on my g60 the mpg guage is reading high 60's low 70's at times, clearly not right, any idea what could be causing it to over read?

Right - I'll have a go a the pump/float assembly then.

I had the MPG trip computer on setting 2! (Idiot). Second time.

Thanks all.

Aghh!! After replacing the ECU and the ignition coil all was well for 1 week apart from this fuel gauge issue - which seem to sort itself out. Filled up yesterday and after 125miles it just cut out...in rush hour traffic. Managed to start it again but cut out a few miles down the road. The fuel gauge registers fuel but it cut out like there was no fuel in the tank. I picked up 5 litres of 99 octane poured it in and it started again. Took it home. Turned off the engine and it wouldn't start again. Tried it this morning, started first time. The starter motor is brand new and seems to working fine but the engine will not fire for some reason. Strange smell coming through the vents, bit of white smoke out back to.

Had enough now - can't afford to spend anymore on the old girl. £2500 in two years is enough I think.

Any ideas?