Sign in to follow this  
markgia1

PROBLEMS CONSISTANTLY STARTING ENGINE AND IRREGULAR IDLING

HI

GOT 2.0 16V CORRADO AND REPLACED HEAD GASKET

SINCE THEN IT DOESNT ALWAYS START. IF IT DOESNT START I HAVE TO LEAVE IT FOR AN HOUR AN TRY AGAIN. AN IT THEN USUALLY STARTS. EVERYTHING OBVIOUS SEEMS TO BE FINE (LIKE SPARK). THE ONLY GUARANTEED WAY I CAN GET IT TO START IS TO REMOVE SPARK PLUGS AND POUR FUEL IN.

IT ALSO IDLES IRRATICALLY, BUT IF I PUSH THE AIR BOX AND CONNECTING HOSES IT SEEMS TO HELP. ARE THESE PROBLEMS RELATED?

CAN ANYBODY HELP?

GUARANTEED WAY I CAN GET IT TO START IS TO REMOVE SPARK PLUGS AND POUR FUEL IN.CAN ANYBODY HELP?

Hi

How much fuel do you put in each cylinder ?

Then, once it starts, how long does it keep running ?

not a lot of fuel, just about a shot glass in each. then it runs fine, doesnt cut out. but if i turn it off an try re-startin it, it prob wont fire up. gotta admit got problem a coupla months ago, didnt touch car in that time. then randomly tried it one evenin an no probs for 2wks. had a look inside air box today an then the blasted problem has come bk. dunno if its all coincidences or what. airbox seems really sensitve, i'd push it about and it affected the revs and runnin. but the car wont work at all at the moment so dunno where to go. help!!!

sounds like you've dislodged all the vacuum pipes that spread out from the airbox, you disrupt one of these and it'll run like a bag of ass.

Go looking around the throttle body, and brake servo plus underneath the air intake piping and make sure all the pipes are connected as they should be.

had a look inside air box today an then the blasted problem has come bk. help!!!

Hi

Is there anything sitting on top of the airbox ?

no the isv isnt buzzing. dint think its isv related as i have a new one.

on top of the airbox is the fuel injectors.

Hi

With the ignition ON, the ISV should buzz.

Sooooo you have a fuel distributor on the airbox, and that got tilted when you lifted the airbox cover. I would look into the plate etc connected in the fuel distributor.

i seem to have resolved the problem by moving about the air box. its really sensitive. if i move it too much it will cause the engine to stop! (is this normal?????). I placed something under one side of the air box to alter the height of the air box on that one side. this seems to have solved all the problems so far! bit odd tho. any one got any ideas what this is about?

exactly what I said dude, your injection system runs on vacuum. dislodge the airbox or the little pipes and the car can stall instantly.

Is your airbox clamped together properly? And all the jubilee clips on the pipes done up? Maybe one of the pipes has cracked and is letting in air, that would affect the vacuum.

exactly what I said dude, your injection system runs on vacuum. dislodge the airbox or the little pipes and the car can stall instantly.

Is your airbox clamped together properly? And all the jubilee clips on the pipes done up? Maybe one of the pipes has cracked and is letting in air, that would affect the vacuum.

Hmmmm I'll have to check this on mine - half way home today (well most of the way home) it decided to stall on me when I stopped at a junction. Now cuts out straight away unless I keep my foot on the gas (and even then the engine speed keeps dipping).

Limped home just about. I did wonder if something got wet as its tipping it down but I didn't go through any big puddles and gave the important things a squirt of WD40 when I got home. Still does it, will try again in an hour or so and also look for any cracked pipes.