Sign in to follow this  
Kezbo

VR6 Radiator Question

Hey guys,

As you look into the engine bay to the right hand side of the radiator there is a black plastic pipe which runs down the side of the radiator, the top hose mounts to this through a plastic elbow. Is the black plasic pipe part of the radiator or can it be seperated and replaced?

Also are heater matrix's all the same for all corrado models.

Cheers chaps

It's obvously a seperate part to the radiator core itself (which is made in the UK) but not replacable - new rad time i'm afraid

(the top elbow itself and seal are available seperatly if thats whats leaking but I assume you've cracked the lower bit?)

The matrix's are all the same in terms of RHD and non aircon for all Corrado's (factory AC models use a different one and so do LHD)

The Matrix you buy new now is a MK3 Golf / A3 / TT part that has the bypass vales built in so no need for them in the engine bay

Thanks for the reply. Yes its the plastic part which is cracked, the elbow seal was leaking and when i went to undo it CRACK! New rad it is then. Bugger!

What are the matrix by pass valves? Do you just remove them from the engine bay when you replace the matrix? I assume all new matrix's from all sources are this upgraded style?

Cheers

Yeah, the bypass valves can be removed but you won't have these as it's a VR

I'd buy the matrix and rad from VW only - the matrix is a job you only want to do once!

Oh ok, wondering what they were as most of the coolant pipes etc have been replaced in the last 3 years and never come acorss them!

What is there job and does it matter than they will not be in the matrix and whereas I had none before?

Thanks

It would appear I now have a cracked rad too in the same area :( . Two questions I have is a) what causes them to crack b) how much for a new rad? can anyone help? thanks in advance..

New rad is about £130ish from VW and to replace it is a bumper off job but some people have done it without taking the bumper virtually imposs in a vr engine bay though!

yeah, the phirm did mine without the bumper/slam panel off, was a bit of an arse to do though, would give myself the space if i was doing it.

No so bad then, annoyingly my rad was off a few weeks ago during my rebuild. I'm wondering if that disturbance has caused the crack or its simply a sign of its age.... cam sensor went pretty much on same day.

VR6 Rad is £180+ something from VW

i bought one not long ago

DSC00627.jpg

you can also get the gruvenparts rad neck which is very good quality, the rad does come with a new plastic one tho

DSC00663.jpg

I cant understand why anyone would change the rad on a VR6 without taking the front bumper/slam panel off! Its so easy to remove the front, 10 mins to take off if that and it would make the job soooo much easier! :cuckoo:

^Yeah very true so much easier with bumper off. £180+ from VW bloody hell talk about inflation! mine was £122 quid with staff discount from a mate who works for VW

I cant understand why anyone would change the rad on a VR6 without taking the front bumper/slam panel off! Its so easy to remove the front, 10 mins to take off if that and it would make the job soooo much easier! :cuckoo:

I changed mine with the bumper on and didn't find it difficult at all. Couldn't see the point in taking the bumper/slam panel off when there wasn't any need to. Once the fans and the battery are removed it slides out easily enough. :grin:

couldnt see anyway of getting the radiator out without taking the front off! And while i had the bumper off treated some rust that i didnt know was there so worked out to be beneficial in the end!

there was no way i was getting min out without the front off, the aircon rad was a pig to undo, i think it i hadn't got good access i would of rounded bolts and screws everywhere