Sign in to follow this  
radness

KR Cam and the forbidden ebay chip

Response from JKM:

Hello Nick,

The ECU on your Corrado, although it controls the fuel pump & cold start fuel valve etc actually has main control of ignition timing.

The fuel is taken care of by the mainly mechanical Bosch KE Jet system, therefore remapping will not adjust the fueling directly like a later EFI car that actually has individual solenoid controlled fuel injectors.

To cut a long story short, your car can have the ECU reprogrammed by a physical chip change. The chip change is likely to only be changing the ignition timing within the ECU maps, although there may be

Yeah that kinda sums it up for me to. Ah well best start saving for a P&P'd head and getting the bottom end lightened and balanced.

nick

But on the "up-side" it means fueling's like K-jet so as long as the pump/lines/injectors are up to it, it will throw as much fuel as is needed into the engine! :)

but chip £40, remap £200+

... adjusting CO correctly: £0.

How does one do that for £0? :lol: From what I've read you need an emissions tester in the exhaust sniffer pipe and monitor this while adjusting it? or am i wrong?

fairly easy i am led to believe! it needs doing on my KR but i don't have the allen key to do it.]

[someone correct me if i am wrong]

- run the engine up to temp - it should be idling at 950 (+/- 50). if it isn't then adjust the idle speed screw to get it right.

- you will now need what i can only describe as a fookin long 3mm allen key - if it's anything like the KR set up there will be a whole when you look down between the metering head and the air intake pipe that comes from the airbox

- you turn this acrew in the hole, i think the anti-clockwise will enrich the fuel, clockwise will thin it out.

- you should thin it out until the engine practically stalls, then enrich it about 1/8th of a turn at a time until it idles smoothly remembering to remove the allen key after each 1/8th turn

like i said, haven't tried it myself yet but will be soon, and anyone in the know feel free to tell me to shut up so long as you correct the bit(s) i got wrong :lol:

[someone correct me if i am wrong]

- run the engine up to temp - it should be idling at 950 (+/- 50). if it isn't then adjust the idle speed screw to get it right.

- you will now need what i can only describe as a fookin long 3mm allen key - if it's anything like the KR set up there will be a whole when you look down between the metering head and the air intake pipe that comes from the airbox

- you turn this acrew in the hole, i think the anti-clockwise will enrich the fuel, clockwise will thin it out.

- you should thin it out until the engine practically stalls, then enrich it about 1/8th of a turn at a time until it idles smoothly remembering to remove the allen key after each 1/8th turn

like i said, haven't tried it myself yet but will be soon, and anyone in the know feel free to tell me to shut up so long as you correct the bit(s) i got wrong :lol:

Can someone correct him if he's wrong?? :)

Also, can someone drop in a picture or two of where this nut is so that i know im turning the correct one? :)

If you've got a 9a you can't do this, what he's saying is right but it only applies to KR lumps. On top of what he says you need to disconnect something on the coil that stops the idel doing somethng else and you need to block off the breather going into the inlet pipe work. Frankly cocking about with your micture without knowing what you're doing is a very bad idea. Take it to a pro to set up, it's much cheaper than melted pistons becuase you were running too lean.

Nick