Sign in to follow this  
sparks

Ice on rear spolier !!

i know summer here ish but i did notice a problem when we had the winter !!

on early morning like before 6am the car is covered in ice in winter times i obversely clean the windows before driving off but the spolier is also iced up is there a way to disable the spolier coming up at 45 mph as i think it made break the motor /mech if its trying to push it up and its caked in ice locking it down ?

cheers stu ..

I'm not sure which one it is, but there's a wire that comes off the back of the speedo. You can cut that, but I've heard if you do that it won't work with the switch, either. Not 100% sure, though.

Unplug the spoiler control module! (small black box above the fusebox) Cant remember the part number for it offhand, but it has the likes of "Heckspoiler" written on it.

Or else take the trim off the inside of the bootlid. and either unplug the spoiler motor from there, or there is a small plastic knob right in the middle of the mech that rotates when the spoiler moves. If you pull this outwards you can manually move the spoiler by twisting the knob. If you leave it in this "out" position the spoiler motor is disengaged from the mech.

hi thanks for the info i was kinda look for pull fuse number XX and that turn off spolier

cheerrs stu..

Its 70+ Degrees out and we're talking about ICE! :confused:

You can't just pull a fuse as tehy are linked to other things as well as the spoiler.

I'd go with Dec's "twist knob" :fondle: idea as it means your not disrupting the electrics... Which means the motor will still get some excercise. Just remember to grease the motor and working when you're there.

It's probably even quicker to do than pulling a fuse out too! :wink: :lol:

Defo dont pull the fuse as your car wont start if you do :grin: unless the car is totally soaking wet when it "ices" up i cant see how it would jam it that badly to damage anything? if the motor is put under strain the first thing to go will be the fuse anyway, you could always raise it on the switch before setting off to make sure its not jammed down?

or as said, remove the boot trim panel and pull the manual butterfly handle and disengage it from the spoiler motor,

If the spolier in the down position when it freezes then i cant really see it ever being a problem, unless you live in Norway or Sweden where they get proper ice and snow :norty: