Sign in to follow this  
n3p

Flywheel/Clutch advice needed

Good morning,

Firstly, general info: 1991 Jreg 1.8 16v

It's got to the stage now where I need to look into clutch's and flywheels. I have bought a new engine (9a bottom end..), and am nearing the time to convert. I have decided to change my clutch, and have been recommended to buy a VR6 sachs/LUK one so that it can transmit a bit more grunt.

g-werks have told me that there are two flywheel sizes on the valvers, and that 288mm would be good for a VR6 clutch to fit onto. Having no access to my flywheel, does anyone know what size flywheel mine would be? (See general info)

Also, if it turns out that it wont fit, is there anywhere that sells a 288mm lightened wheel which would?

As usual, any input will be gratefully recieved! :salute:

Cheers for that link Dec, it looks like it will fit the bill (providing it will fit!). I assume that this is compatible with the VR6 clutch? Also, what's the shipping cost like?

I hope you are right about the Mk2 confusion, lets hope some others can confirm so that I don't spunk all of my hard earned on the wrong part, especially if it's from the states! :salute:

I have that flywheel fitted to a Vr6 clutch with no problems at all!

Shipping worked out at around $70 iirc. So total came to about £125 incl delivery! 8)

Personally I'd just put on a standard clutch (the basic sachs replacement one I got from GSF years ago has been great) and have the standard flywheel lightened a bit (IRO £80 quid for machining).

Both the standard 16v clutch and gearbox are good for a lot more torque than any NA valver will ever put through it, they were designed for the 1.9 turbo diesel passat in the first place.

Thanks for the input, davidwort 8). I never thought of getting the current flywheel lightened actually - but is it one of those components that is worth changing whilst the engine is out? It's covered 110k. No idea on what the shelf life is!

Also, do you have any ideas on the flywheel size? Cheers 8)

Thanks for the input, davidwort 8). I never thought of getting the current flywheel lightened actually - but is it one of those components that is worth changing whilst the engine is out? It's covered 110k. No idea on what the shelf life is!

Also, do you have any ideas on the flywheel size? Cheers 8)

they all have a 228mm flywheel/clutch (apart from a few of the 2.0 8v Corrados according to ETKA), it's not a dual mass flywheel or anything so I can't see you ever wearing one out. My original clutch itself was like new at 120K, only reason I replaced it was cause I had the box off anyway to do the engine build.