Sign in to follow this  
richardbirks

VR6 minor water problems... long... boring... help! :-)

Hi Guys,

I've just joined the fold and got myself a '94 Moonlight Blue VR6, and I can't fault it, well almost...

The last owner hasn't been driving it much, and I reckon we'd all agree there's not much point owning a car like a Corrado and not driving it :D

Anyway, I don't think being left to stand has helped the condition of the hoses and it's got ever such a slight water leak. And where ever that leak is I'm guessing it's near the oil-temperature sender because the MFA oil temp thingy only registers "----" unless I drive it long enough for the heat in the engine to dry out the connection.

Thing is...

1. Even over a long (240 miles/4 hours) it only lost from the Max -> Min lines in the resevoir.

2. I've no idea where the oil temperature sender is! :oops:

3. I don't know a mechanic/garage I trust to work on the car (I'm in the East Midlands)

So any help/advice you bunch can give me on the abovewould be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Richard

Whereabouts in Derbyshire are you?

Will try and remember to check my workshop manual for where the sender is for you.

Hi Guys,

I've just joined the fold and got myself a '94 Moonlight Blue VR6, and I can't fault it, well almost...

The last owner hasn't been driving it much, and I reckon we'd all agree there's not much point owning a car like a Corrado and not driving it :D

Anyway, I don't think being left to stand has helped the condition of the hoses and it's got ever such a slight water leak. And where ever that leak is I'm guessing it's near the oil-temperature sender because the MFA oil temp thingy only registers "----" unless I drive it long enough for the heat in the engine to dry out the connection.

Thing is...

1. Even over a long (240 miles/4 hours) it only lost from the Max -> Min lines in the resevoir.

2. I've no idea where the oil temperature sender is! :oops:

3. I don't know a mechanic/garage I trust to work on the car (I'm in the East Midlands)

So any help/advice you bunch can give me on the abovewould be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Richard

ok - if you stand at the front of the car, look right down inbetwen the radiator and the engine, in the centre - you will see the oil filter bowl jutting out the engine. Its quite low down - prob nearly up to your arm pit when you reach in. On top of this there will be 3 sensors with single wires coming out of them. One is low oil pressure switch, the other high oil pressure switch, and the 3rd is the oil temp sender. They all have only one wire going to them.

Simply reach down and remove all the wires and clean up the metal tab connections. Dont worry about getting the wires mixed up - the blue wire goes to the blue coloured sender, the yellow to yellow etc.... but check first though!! :D

Once they are all cleaned up and put back - you should be set to go.

For info - the water temp senders are nearer the top of the engine. Follow the top rad pipe towards the engine - it goes to a large plastic (thermostat) housing - this housing has 2 or 3 temp sensors in it.

get your water leak fixed and put a new thermostat in - otherwise you could wreck that nice car!!

Jules