Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Whirring noise at low revs?

car is a VR6, recentely at really low revs, i notice it when reversing up my drive which is a slight hill, so about 1000rpm.

there is a whirring noise, hard to describe, could this be signs of bottom end or something, sounds like a worn bearing type noise to me, but in the engine.

also the misfire seems worse recentely, when i rev car while stopped it feels rough/wobbly, like not all cylinders are firing, sounds nice but shouldn't be like that, thinking that could be coilpack?

i can see quite alot of work needing doing soon :( clutch, engine rebuild, and a coilpack with leads doesn't look cheap :(

half tempted to sell it on at a reasonable price tbh

I've heard diff pins can sometime go suddenly, noted by a funny noise when reversing, if you can catch it early I believe it is a fairly straight forward job to sort. If you don't thought it could wreck your gearbox!

Hopefully its not that... :(

ahh, i never thought it could be something like the water pump, it seems to be from that area too.

knowing my luck it will be that, its the only part of cooling system i didn't renew :?