Sign in to follow this  
Trickygti

Project Optimus primer

Well thought it was about time I showed my efforts :D After owning both a 16v and an 8v mk2 both of which I loved to bits I decided I'd buy a Corrado, My budget was a bit tight and knew it had to be a valver as it was to be used everyday.

So I bought this

frontns.jpg

rear.jpg

I know the wheels and body kit are a bit shocking and the lexarse lights should never have been made but the basics of a half decent car were there. It came with a full Audi TT leather interior

seats.jpg

And a polished 50mm inlet manifold

engine.jpg

So me orrin and a mate of ours went over to hull to pick it up. It was soon aparent that Stevie wonder worked at the body shop as there was some pretty shoddy paint work going on. But me being me thought what the hell I'll take it.

The trip back was fun, traveling back over the M62 in a blizzard with wipers that were about as much use as the proverbial chocolate fire guard and brakes that were at best pretty shocking.

Once back in the workshop though I set about ripping the side skirts off and the wheels were sold on and the D90's fitted. And those back lights were launched into the skip at great speed :twisted:

DSC00020.jpg

DSC00022.jpg

I then fitted the G60 front brakes which the guy had supplied and checked over the suspension which had some quite new FK coilies fitted :D

DSC00023.jpg

DSC00024_1.jpg

A new rear bumper was then temporarily sprayed and fitted to get the back end looking some what better than it did

DSC00073.jpg

And a solid front engine mount and OEM gearbox mount were fitted to help with the horendous engine movement when changing gear

DSC00076_1.jpg

A full service was then carried out and replaced the water pump, cambelt, and radiator as these were all shot and the car was being used daily so needed to be reliable.

A KR inlet cam and De Cat pipe have also been fitted to help out with the performance side of things and they've made it run so much smoother which I'm happy with.

I finally managed to get hold of a front bumper at a reasonable price (corrado parts are so much more expensive than mk2 bits) And primered it up and fitted it as I was sick of looking at the awful front bumper it came with. This is when I decided to hell with it I'm gonna spray it matt grey! I didn't have much to loose as the body work looked awful close up and I wanted something different to kinda show the corrado folk that you dont have to spend 5-6K on a rado to stand out :D

DSC00144.jpg

So me and Orrin set about the body work with some wet and dry and about £70 worth of Halfords primer. I'm really happy with the way its turned out. It now looks wider for some reason and and the lighter colour shows off the lines of the rado a lot better than before. I've just bolted on the rear bumper tonight so its all pretty much done. The rear plinth and spoiler want spraying again as they were done in a different primer. But this is pretty much how its gonna look at Tatton park in August :)

DSC00171.jpg

DSC00172.jpg

DSC00173.jpg

DSC00174.jpg

DSC00175.jpg

DSC00176.jpg

I know the rear quarters are darker but thats getting sorted as soon as the weather sorts it self out.

If your still here, thanks for looking, all comments welcome no matter what you have to say :)

Looked good in black, but I quite like the primer look.

Those old front disks weren't getting much pad contact at all.

Good work buddy. I'm guessing you sealed the bodywork before primering it all as some of that grey stuff is porous :ignore:

mmmmm Think i would rather have shoddy black paint work than primer to be fair :lol:

Well I've decided to get rid of the TT leather seats as I always wanted a Corrado rear bench with the center armrest in it. Any how a full interior minus front door cards came up on ebay and was only in fleetwood ao I thought I'd have a cheeky bid. Low and behold I won with a massive bid of £10.50 :) Its out of a 94 VR6 model. with very slight wear on the drivers seat but hey for the price I'm chuffed to bits with it. The TT leathers will be up for sale for £300 including the TT gear knob. Which is all ready to bolt into another rado.

DSC00182_1.jpg

DSC00181_1.jpg

strangly when i read that it was in primer i pictured it being much more horrible than it looks. looks quite good actually! :D excellent improvement to what you started out with imo!

Looks superb mate, if you do paint it a different colour i reckon red oxide primer or nato green :)

seen a mk2 done in german army mat green, looked hard as nails!... alot of people seem to do the matt black/grey/yellow and i've seen a green and a blue... jump out of the box man... matt harlequin it! cool as hell, £5 a panel in paint and you will be the only corrado i've ever seen harlequined! 8)

looks much better after ripping all the bodykit off etc, like its been rescued :lol:

not sure about the primer look though, looked better black :(

Looks superb mate, if you do paint it a different colour i reckon red oxide primer or nato green :)

seen a mk2 done in german army mat green, looked hard as nails!... alot of people seem to do the matt black/grey/yellow and i've seen a green and a blue... jump out of the box man... matt harlequin it! cool as hell, £5 a panel in paint and you will be the only corrado i've ever seen harlequined! 8)

One of Toffee's "Fleet" is Matt Green...

Oh and the harlequin idea... Get some sleep! or lay off the gin! (delete as applicable)

I'm not feeling the grey primer look makes all the lines of the car dissapear, but then again we all know how much better a shoddy "shiney" paint job can look in photos compered to life!

^ Oh yeah.....many a car that looks "mint" in pictures does actually have more marks and blemishes than Ron Jeremys arse when your stood next to it :grin:

^ Oh yeah.....many a car that looks "mint" in pictures does actually have more marks and blemishes than Ron Jeremys arse when your stood next to it :grin:

i was eating my lunch when i read that!! not a nice image! :pukeright:

:lol: Cheers guys, I know it looked pretty good in the pics when it was black andI do love black rados but I polished it up at the volksdevil show and when the sun was on the doors and rear quarters it looked about as straight as blackpool beach.

Eventually when money is spare its going to be sprayed a really dark almost black looking purple pearl colour that is now available on the Audi A8. But for the time being I'm gonna keep it grey I think or maybe some other matt colour.

Gonna retrim the roof lining in black alcantara and do all the pillar trims as well. Should be quite a straight forward job really, (famous last words).

I'm also gonna get hold of a black carpet as well as the grey one is a mare to keep clean and eventually I want all the plastics etc in black just so it all matches.

I love my little money pit :luvlove:

Surely you mean Blackpool bar? :lol:

Hear what ya saying mate, just dont leave it too long as said primer is very pourous and if their is any bare metal under it or existing rust? it will come back through in days!!!

sounds like you have a plan though, just dont leave it as a W.I.P for too long, your get us Corrado owners a bad name :grin: