Sign in to follow this  
Madjackal

More Problems, grrr! 95 VR6

My car was fine when I used it last but I got up Sunday morning and am having problems. I can start the car but it wont stay running just dies after about a second. It kicks over and then the revs just die, seems as though its either getting restricted air or fuel perhaps, something to do with the injectors??

It happened a couple of times over the last two weeks or so but I managed to get it going with some revving. Now it just wont stay running. I have recently put a new cam position sensor in, changed the sump, albeit for one which is actuall slightly deeper on one side than the one previously fitted, and I did clean my air filter as well.

Could it be that the level of the oil is different and therefore causiong problems?

Something to do with the sensor?

Do I NEED to use oil when changing my filter as i have read about people oiling there filters but no nothing of the subject. Could this be a factor?

As yours is a 95 CP ECU, It's bound to be the immobiliser. Classic symptom.

You need VAG-COM really to fault code the key and key reader.

What you can do though is remove the immobiliser box (clipped under the dash, driver's side) and lift the lid to check for dry joints, it's quite common.

Pretty sure it will be to do with the ignition coil around the barrel, happened to mine a while back. Do a search as I think it is quite a common problem. In the mean time try some WD40 down the key slot.

My immobiliser wont let the ignition turn over at all tho. The enigine does actually start, it then runs for about a second or so as I say then the revs just drop away and it stops??

The enigine does actually start, it then runs for about a second or so as I say then the revs just drop away and it stops??

Yes, that's exactly what the factory immobiliser does. Bizarre as it may be, the VW immobiliser doesn't actually kill the spark and fuel until it's running.

Your alarm's immobiliser is completely different (it cuts the starter and fuel pump circuits) and is additional to the factory one.

Mines had this problem since i bought the car, went away for a bit but has recently come back, pain in the bloody arse it is. WD40 does the trick for a while but i havent been bothered to actually sort it out yet :lol: With mine i tend to put the key in and turn the ignition on and wait for a few second before turning it over, seems to do the trick most the time, gives it time to read the chip in the key i believe :?

It must be something about this time of year with ignition switches, and heat in the cabin expanding and damaging them - I never run into ignition switch problems in winter but 2 out of 3 Corrado's i've owned have gotten silly with ignition switches around this time of year!

It must be something about this time of year with ignition switches, and heat in the cabin expanding and damaging them - I never run into ignition switch problems in winter but 2 out of 3 Corrado's i've owned have gotten silly with ignition switches around this time of year!

Yeah sounds about right actually :scratch:

My one played up big time getting off the ferry after my trip, was a pain in the arse. The guys were about to come and push me and it finally started :clap:

The enigine does actually start, it then runs for about a second or so as I say then the revs just drop away and it stops??

Yes, that's exactly what the factory immobiliser does. Bizarre as it may be, the VW immobiliser doesn't actually kill the spark and fuel until it's running.

Your alarm's immobiliser is completely different (it cuts the starter and fuel pump circuits) and is additional to the factory one.

Ahhh see i didnt know that! soz. Anyway i tried it at lunchtime and it was fine! Plus after reading the assciated thread its all starting to make sence to me. Still learning after all this time! Well cheers for all the help folks may have to start looking for this immobiliser box and trying to work out what all that stuff means lol!