Sign in to follow this  
MikeVR6

What to Look For When Buying a Vectra

Looking for a runabout with a towbar.

Bloke in work has offered me a 1997 1.8 16v Vectra for buttons. (>£300)

Bodywork is ok for an 11 yr old Vauxhall, my expectations ain't too high.

Anyone know what the common electrical/mechanical faults are on these yokes?

Not that I'm looking to knock the price down. Just don't want to buy a lemon.

Rust in rear arches and door bottoms is the usual place. Dodgy electrics is another thing to look out for. Check all the lights and try the indicators with your foot on the brake, if all the lights flash, its usually just a bad earth on the multiplugs and easily remedied. Aside from these, nothing springs to mind, I worked for a vauxhall dealer for several years and remember the Vectra being quite a hardy vehicle. Dont forget the usual.... play in steering, uneven tyre wear, leaking windows etc but at £300 you could break it and still make money on it! Central locking can be troublesome too!

Personally i would look ELSEWHERE! surely an old Jetta/Vento or mk2 golf is a better option, at least you know what your getting!!!! an 11 year old Vectra will be like a 20 year old Ford!

"What to look for when buying a Vectra?"

A quick getaway!!!!

Seriously though, I had one as a company car for 6 months at my old job and it was just pathetic.

So slow, so badly built, just a cheap nasty car

this seems like a great idea, you wont be tempted to modify it or make it look pretty so it wont cost you any more money once you have it except keeping it running 8) if your anythign like me, if i buy anything vw then it needs the right set of wheels and stance immediately (as funds allow! lol) and this and ed38 are bad forums as they offer lots of shiney things at good prices! :lol:

this and ed38 are bad forums as they offer lots of shiney things at good prices! :lol:

magpie-3.jpg

Oohh Shiney things! :lol: