Sign in to follow this  
davidwort

car breakdown cover for europe

Ive been through this mate. You got std cover with any of the big hitters already? If so you may be covered anyway so have a check. If not then you can add a weeks worth of cover for £50-£60 ish on to your policy. Its harsh but cos our Cs are 10+ yrs old we get to pay a lil more. Bless.

If you dont already have cover then slap yourself, you own a Corrado!! Then consider Morethan for the whole package, I was due cover so have one the big shop around recently & inluded Europe cover :)

Hope this helps dude :)

Be careful my mate booked cover with the AA or RAC can't remember which now sorry (thinks its the RAC ) and his box blew sorted out a pick up but as it was a few days later he returned home leaving the car to be picked up and returned to him .they picked the car up .phoned him and asked which garage do you want us to take it to " as the small prink allowed them to do this luckly some dubbers local to the ring sorted out a good garage ,but as of 10 months later the cars still out there , with no mot and as it a 16v jetta putting out 170+bhp i can't see it passing a TUV test to be make it able to be driven back

check if the worst happens this will return the car to your UK address

Rob

As has been said, there's plenty of choice out there, but check if you can get it through your insurance as it works out cheaper (& better). I pay £40 for full UK & European including home start & onward recovery! I'd avoid the RAC like the plague (the UK is not part of Europe according to them, so if you break down on the way there or back...tough). The AA just did a good job for my friend's Lotus Elan on Monday though on the way back from Le Mans. £50 for the cover and when it spat out its dummy (and most of its oil) they had it recovered to a garage, when it was diagnosed as un-fixable sorted out a hire car & recovery of the car to a UK address. All of this on Bastille Day, so not too bad!

They did squirm a bit though, so stick to your guns if they start being slippery!

Cheers,

Tom

If you are insured with HIC take out their breakdown. I used it a couple of times for trips to Belgium when I went to Mania. It is very reasonable anyway and they will bring your car back here whatever happens to it if you so wish. They also will provide a hire car and flights etc and bring your car back seperately if its at the start of your trip or whatever. I specifically asked about the car coming back if I crashed it or anything as I didnt want it leaving out there when there would probably be lots of parts I could get off it, they said that would be fine.

THE ONLY European breakdown cover i could get for my G60 was with RAC when i went to France a couple of months ago, cover was good, car fixed if possible, onward journey, car recovered to the UK etc.........

But it cost me £90 for 10 days cover :cuckoo: I had no choice as ALL the others dont want to know if the cars 10 years old or more including green flag, AA, AND LOADS of independants, as apparantly they dont think "new" cars break down :lol: I beg to differ as you pass a new focus just outside calais with steam pouring out of it :lol:

So if you can get the cover with an insurance policy its worth it, luckily the only thing that went wrong with my C was the spoiler getting stuck up :grin: not bad for a 1991 G60 which covered 1038 miles in 10 days, used no water, no oil and returned an average of 38 mpg on mixed driving without any problems or dramas

If anyones in the breakdown cover buisiness then there is a MASSIVE gap in the market for insuring older cars for European cover and you could absolutely rake it in!! as most cars will be enthusiast owned and well maintained