Sign in to follow this  
IansCorrado

Sticking clutch pedal

Since picking up my Corrado 2 months ago, I have been troubled by a sticking clutch pedal. The problem was intermittent but the pedal would stick down at the most inconvenient moments. I had a complete new clutch fitted, the garage who did it told me they had bled the system and it was perfect now. Whatever! driving it off their forecourt, the pedal stuck down again. They had ket the car for ten days, charged me a fortune and I desperately needed the car for work. So I drove it home and decided to fix it myself.

The slave cylinder looked brand new, the hydraulic hose showed no signs of seepage etc and with the new clutch, I didn't know what else it could be.

The slave cylinder, despite looking new, was a very cheap and nasty spurious part so I took it out to have a look at it. Everything seemed intact but I though i'd order a new one anyway.

Pushing the plunger on the new cylinder gave quite a reistance, much more than the old on anyway. What can I say, job done, problem solved. After a thorough bleeding, the clutch is massively improved. £32 and an hours work. Garage charged me over £800 and had the car for ten days. S'pose it all goes back to the old saying, 'if you want something doing right, do it yourself!'

Thought sharing this info with other Corrado / Golf owners, might save them the heartache I had to put up with.