Sign in to follow this  
stevelknievel

new vw owner needs some help

on my 94 the previous owner said the motor was seized. well after getting it home and turning the motor over with a breaker bar i've ruled that out. now that the battery is charged i tried to turn it over and all we hear is a click when i turn the key over. and when i turn the key over and the key goes back to on i cannot try to turn the motor over again. it locks and i have to turn it all the way off then on again.

is this a common problem in the starting system?

thanks in advance

. and when i turn the key over and the key goes back to on i cannot try to turn the motor over again. it locks and i have to turn it all the way off then on again.is this a common problem in the starting system?

thanks in advance

Hi

It is not a problem. It is Normal.

Where did you connect the breaker bar to turn it over.

Hi

Looks like you have a lazy starter. You need to take it out and just clean the shaft. What car is it.

Check the battery voltage first. You need at least 11.8V to turn the engine on the starter.

Agree with the above. Thats a normal feature of the ignition barrel to stop you trying to start a car thats already running (sounds silly but ive seen it done, especially on new cars that are too quiet to hear.) Check the battery voltage and then whip the starter motor off and inspect it. Check the teeth on the starter motor and the flywheel for scores/wear. Then if its all normal, clean it up and give it a very light coat of grease on the moving parts to ensure smooth operation.

Hi All

I have similar problem where the ignition just does nothing. I switch it on the fuel pump primes and for the immobiliser on the car I have to wait for the oil light to stop flashing. When turning the key to start absolutely nothing happens, maybe a soft whurring. On a few occasions previously when starting it did make a fast grinding noise only just conected this happening with this latest problem - I replaced the ignition switch (also charged battery, but only 1yr old) and also spotted the cable straight from the +battery terminal to the starter was virtually broken so replaced that too. Is the starter motor knackered? If so I am reluctant to try to take it out as this may lead to alignment problems - Any pointers or tips, please? :shrug: