Sign in to follow this  
a98pmalcolm

ignition problem

im sure weve herd this problem befor in the summer the ignition starts to slack in a corrado, but not only 2 years ago i had the barrol and switch done and now the car wont turn over, the car get unimmobilised the dash lights come up, the fuel pump turns on but i turn the key all the way to start the engine over and nothing, maybe once over the space for trying 70 times it fires up but it just sounds like there is nothing goin to the starter motor! Anything i can do to sort it out myself tonight?

its a corrado 1991 G60 PG Engine, STD Key, car imobiliser turns off fine as the dash lights come on.

Thanks

Paul

Try wiggling the key. Or take the trim off below the steering wheel and try jiggling the wiring running to the switch. Might help indicate whether the switch is at fault.

Or you could use the search and change some relays etc...

maybe once over the space for trying 70 times it fires up but it just sounds like there is nothing goin to the starter motor!

Hi

Whip the starter out and give it a good clean, test it and then and put it back.

You first need to check for 12V down the large red and black cable to the starter solenoid, if it's there then the soleniod is sticking in the heat, if not the ignition switch or imob problem...

(the above assumes a good battery and also good clean connections to the starter and alt)

the soleniod is sticking in the heat,

Hi

Any idea how the heat seems to make the solenoid sticky ?

If your solenoid was sticking then all your dash lights would dim when turning the ignition to the starter position.

My guess would be that your ignition switch has gone fubbar again or the connector on the back of the ignition switch has worked it's self loose.

If you had an ignition switch from GSF fitted last time they only last a couple of years.

If you have to change the switch either get one from the stealers or you can buy the same OEM quality but cheaper from Volkswerk.

If your solenoid was sticking then all your dash lights would dim when turning the ignition to the starter position.

My guess would be that your ignition switch has gone fubbar again or the connector on the back of the ignition switch has worked it's self loose.

If you had an ignition switch from GSF fitted last time they only last a couple of years.

Or 6 months if youre me :D

Definately ignition switch - get a genuine VAG one, and don't waste your time with a pattern part.