Sign in to follow this  
carpoid

Windscreen and Rear Window Seals

My car is being sprayed next week, the body shop told me i'll need a new Windscreen, Rear Window and Rear side window seals.

GPC have told me i can only get them with new windows as they are part of the complete units.

I've read that people have re-used the side rear window seals and says how to in my Bentley manual.

But what about the Rear Window and Windscreen Seals, does anyone have any experience with them after removing them ??

Cheers

Matt

IIRC the front and rear seals are just push fits cos the screens are bonded in.

The sides are complete units at £400 a side from the Stealers, Or 219 Euros +p&p from ARZ

The Bentley manaul tells you how to cut out the rubber seals to replace the complete unit.

People have managed to remove the side seals in the past but the manual doesn't tell you how.

yeah you can remove the rear quater glass without damaging the outer seals, all you need is a retractable blade craft knife and some soapy water, remove all of the interior trim around the quarter glass and then just slice through the adhesive seal from the inside, always keeping the blade parrallel to the glass, the soapy water helps stop the blade from getting stuck in the adhesive as if you try it when its dry it really grips the blade, just take your time and it helps to have someone with you to catch the glass when its loose.

Good stuff guys, thanks for that.

I managed to order the Windscreen and Rear Window Trim from VW Australia, part numbers were;

Rear Screen VW-535853355A01C $166.75 AUD

Front Screen VW-535845127A $86.15 AUD

They are coming from Germany, he quoted $400AUD a side for the rear quarter glass.