Sign in to follow this  
FTM1975

Please Help - the droning is not my wheel bearing

Hi got a quick question for anyone who can answer it really. I have just had my car back from the garage as thought my front driver side wheel bearing had gone again but only had it replaced 3 months ago. The gargage say they have striped it down and its definatley not the wheel bearing. He said there is possibly a bearing between the Driveshaft and the gearbox that could be shot that would seem and sound very similar to a wheel bearing.

Does anyone where or what this bearing is called and can i get it changed without totally striping down the gearbox. need advice on this if anyone knows? could i even need a new gearbox altoghether???

there are bearings inside the gearbox (input shaft bearings) but bearings between the driveshaft and gearbox? Not too sure matey.

ISBs will sound like a metallic kind of light whirring sound when the clutch is up and when you push it down the noise disappears. Would be quite a quick one to check.

have tried droping the clutch and the noise does not disappear! it has to be along the driveshaft somewhere???????

Have you checked for any play in either driveshaft? As the CV joints can wear out, they may start droning although a more common sound is to hear knocking when going around tight bends or small roundabouts.

There has been talk on here of tyres making a droning sound also, might be worth doing a quick search?

checked water/pas pump? mine started droning for a while, and at first I assumed it was a wheel bearing ,too ;x

have just had the tyre changed, definatly not that, The drone is exactly the same as a shot wheel bearing would sound when i turn left it gets louder and right it almost stops, but is def not the wheel bearing. I have noticed when its cold i do get a bit of a clunky knocking from somwhere behind my pedals but once warmed up it stops????????????? could this be the driveshaft clunking a bit???

sounds more like a CV joint then, the outers are usually the ones that go, I'd pull back the boots clean all the CV grease out and inspect, pack with fresh CV grease and see if it improves at all.

so could a knakered CV joint give the same sort of drone as a wheel bearing then! just thought the guy that looked at it yesterday may have spoted if the Cv joint was knakered????

Sounds like you may have only asked them to look at the wheel bearing so perhaps they didn't even bother?

I haven't heard of a driveshaft droning before, but I guess it could happen.

ok will check the CV joints first then i guess! if it has gone then they will have leaked all the fluid i guess?

no it's not fluid, the cv boots can split and will then fling thick cv grease all around the place, but sometimes after years the grease just goes hard inside a sealed boot, sometimes cleaning and regreasing can extend the life and improve clicking, clunking and various noises.