Sign in to follow this  
Supercharged

VW Golf MKVI

but i am hoping to find one that wont really need anything like that doing to it, maybe just a bit of surface rust that can be treated.

To be fair rob, you will be extremely lucky to find a Mk1 like that, unless it has been restored. I've had two mk1's and both were rotten, although they didn't look it. Don't get me wrong, I love mk1's, but you'll need deep pockets ;)

To be fair rob, you will be extremely lucky to find a Mk1 like that, unless it has been restored. I've had two mk1's and both were rotten, although they didn't look it. Don't get me wrong, I love mk1's, but you'll need deep pockets ;)

:clap:

Some back up at last!

but i am hoping to find one that wont really need anything like that doing to it, maybe just a bit of surface rust that can be treated.

Yeah i know that i wont get one thats completely rust free, but if i look around i know that i could grab a good one, its been done enough times! Just need to find an old person who's owned one since new and only used it for first few years :lol:

And i will eventually have deep pockets, thats the plan really. At first i just want to get one as a run about that i will gradually restore up but as time and funds allow it will be getting the full show car works 8)

Yeah i know that i wont get one thats completely rust free, but if i look around i know that i could grab a good one, its been done enough times! Just need to find an old person who's owned one since new and only used it for first few years :lol:

Indeed mate, but the first one I bought looked absolutely mint, and it wasn't until the windscreen started leaking that I started to have a poke around the A pillars to find a hole the size of my fist to fit through. I took it apart to attempt to restore it and it turned out to be a complete nail. £1800 down the drain, and that was 10 years ago!

I wish you the best of luck mate :wink:

ditto on money pit mk1s. My mars red looked perfect from the outside, but when I pulled thr 1 litre engine out and waiped the grime off the inner wings, I saw that they had been lightened....by salt water :shock:

IMHO, you'll end up with 2 projects... :| :shrug:

makes me laugh how a mk1 (which you can get panels, engine and running gear for cheaply) is described as a money pit, when a large number of people on here own VR6 Corrados.

Yeah, cheap brazilian panels that rust quicker than the forth bridge.....

if you look closely nr you carbon canister hole you'll see 'hecho en mexico' on your corrado...

Yeah i will be doing everything myself including any bodywork repair that may be needed ie cut out rust, weld in a new piece of metal if needs be (need to get a welder though!)

You're in for a steep learning curve then Rob, I'd be in no hurry to get a welder out and start faffing with panels. I'm going to try a bit of pulling dents and filling, but I don't expect a brilliant, long lasting repair.

Yeah, cheap brazilian panels that rust quicker than the forth bridge.....

if you look closely nr you carbon canister hole you'll see 'hecho en mexico' on your corrado...

:) I love that stamp :lol:

...it wasn't until the windscreen started leaking that I started to have a poke around the A pillars to find a hole the size of my fist to fit through. I took it apart to attempt to restore it and it turned out to be a complete nail...

haha, not a small rear light, 70's avocado green one was it... as soon as I found out mine had shot through I wapped some filler in it, touched up the paint and she was gone in 3 days* :lol:

(*the car, not the wife :nono: )

You're in for a steep learning curve then Rob

Thats the idea :wink:

To be fair Rob, you might be better off buying a very very cheap mk2 that needs work and practising on that first; start small. Going in the deep end might not be the best course of action. Doing arch/door repair work will be a lot easier than say flitch/sill work.

And fair play we have gone soooooo off topic :lol: :offtopic:

makes even the new crop of peugeot's good looking :(

No such thing as a good looking french car.

I have to disagree....

peugeot-406c-s-a.jpg