Sign in to follow this  
Trakx

Hall sensor malfunction

Can anyone confirm this?

"This one has been doing our heads in at SNS, Pitstop and G-Werks. But we seem to be coming to the light at the end of the tunnel.

Consider this: 2 G60 corrado's. Similar age, same mods. We put a stage 5 No Lag in car 1 and it goes mental - as expected, nice smooth power line good fuelling and No Lag.

We put the same chip in car2 and it seems to be just as good until the car hits around 4800-5200rpm at which point the acceleration seems to die off then comes back in. a FLAT!

WHY?? Same cars, same mods, no leaks etc, SAME CHIP!! AAAAAGGGHH

Yes, we were losing it, hair has become thinner and bald patches have emerged!

We all know that if there is something critical which is slightly faulty, you wont notice it at 160bhp and you probably wont see it so much more with a mild chip. But the fault will be aggravated and rear its head with an aggressive chip which is what we're all about since we can be more aggressive due to our No Lag © coding.

So what could be causing this? After some head scratching, Pitstop identified the dizzy - in particular the hall sendor. Replacing this cleared the flat on cars they had in the garage with an SNS chip etc etc.

To illustrate this, Steve himself started experiencing a flatspot in his G40 - a new dizzy cured the problem.

So how could a hall sendor cause this?

The hall sendor is a magnetic device and its getting old. In a lot of cases 10-13 years so its gonna be wearing out. If the shaft develops horizontal/vertical play then you will get phase/jitter which will cause a misread in the ecu. The ecu counts rpm twice, once per hall and once per revolution so if it sees a dodgy signal from the hall at some point it would have to go into safe mode. Safe mode would be the last line of the map ie. max injector which is safer than no injector. VW probably anticipated such a fault with wear, they wouldn

Exactly..

Can that happen? lose resolution. Or will they just stop working?

So, have anyone had this problem and resolved with new distributer?

So, i just bought a new distributer and it didn't do anything. So mine wasn't malfuntioning.

I'm now confident that a 5000 rpm flat is just to much fuel.

So, i just bought a new distributer and it didn't do anything. So mine wasn't malfuntioning.

I'm now confident that a 5000 rpm flat is just to much fuel.

yup.

Misfire .I just had a similar problem.

Flat spot at 5 K on a G60 running high boost is almost always the ECU dragging back the timing becuase of the limitation of the stock map sensor - you need the 2.5Kpa one from a Rallye really...

That doesn't work that way. The ECU will only drag back timing if it sences knock trought the knock sensor.

i

Once the timing is wound back as far as it can, doesn't the G60 ECU then use the ISV to bleed boost off?

A previous G60 of mine did this, peeked at 185bhp and then suddenly dropped and then picked up again at 185bhp 100's of rpm later - this confused Geoff Everett (think that was his name?) at AmD circa '96. It pinked at high rpm really badly :( Never sorted and why I sold it ... if only I knew G-Werks then :(

Fuel pump, injectors?