Sign in to follow this  
Toad

Issue with Moonroof and late motor

Good evening.

Fitted a passat moonroof into my late VR tonight, problem is that the motor doesn't fit. The cross section of the moonroof channel is shown below, the motor is shaped so the drive gear fits into the slot marked A, then the actual motor is supposed to fit in the wider section starting at B.

Sunroof.jpg[/attachment:ecr8ek9s]

My late motor is too short between A and B. I did wonder about cutting part of the channel out, and filling the hole with fibreglass, or adusting the motor with an angle grinder. Don't really want to do either though.

It would seem early motors are longer between A and B, but the wiring is wrong. Will a passat motor fit the later corrado wiring loom? (6 pin)

Hmmm.

Looks like late motors are indeed larger, and it seems that the late panels should have an indent for the motor. Balls.

Looks like I need to track a late panel down. :(

yes i discovered this when i got a used sunroof....best get a motor to suit?

Yeah, dunno if I can get an early shape motor with the late wiring connection though?

Yeah, dunno if I can get an early shape motor with the late wiring connection though?

I think you'd be a bit lucky somehow.

I think you're gonna have to 'fettle' the frame somehow. I've got the same issues putting in the later switches and them having 6 pin connectors instead of 3-pin.

I've now got a late 6-pin motor and worked out which wires to connect to what, but I'm gonna have to do some grinding to fit it. The later motor drive-cog is also not so proud of the casing as the early one so I'll probably have to fit it without the spacer plate, not quite sure yet.

We could probably get away with grinding a bit off both the motor and the frame. It'll be interesting anyhow!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

As I understand it the later motor needs the extra wires for the internal limit switches for the one-touch open/close. Is that right or am i talking complete Balls?

If I'm right you could use an early motor but lose one touch functionality, I'm guessing!

I was thinking about PMing you last night Colin, as I'd remembered you were doing a similar swap and were most likely to have a similar issue.

I did wonder about trying to extend the drive cog away from the casing and making a spacer can't see how to do that.

As I understand it the later motor needs the extra wires for the internal limit switches for the one-touch open/close. Is that right or am i talking complete Balls?

If I'm right you could use an early motor but lose one touch functionality, I'm guessing!

I'm pretty sure you're spot on there, but I don't want to lose the one touch malarky. :(

I'm going to have a snuffle around the local scrappy for a late moonroof I think, easiest option, sell this one to pay for the new.

Tom, try a posting on UKpassats.... think there was two versions of motors on the moonroof... can't be much more help as mine came w/out motor and my early one fitted...

But from memory think later ones came with one-touch operation like the VR's ... :confused4:

I'm pretty sure you're spot on there, but I don't want to lose the one touch malarky. :(

The one touch malarky is what i wanted in the first place and i can't be arsed getting a scrap late roof which may well then break so I'm gonna be grinding!!!

Might try and do it in situ - how's that for lazy???? :wink:

:) i though about that, and about getting the gas in to heat and bend it.

Don't forget that part of the roof needs to be water tight, or you'll get an extra shower on wet days. :lol: