Sign in to follow this  
VeeDub_NZ

Dual 8" install

It's been months since my install was finished, thought i'd post up in case it interested anyone. It was a friend of mine, Hennie from http://www.vask.org.nz (our club in New Zealand) that did all the work.

I am running an alpine CDA-9857 ipod ready head unit, one pair of 5 1/4" infinity kappa compontents in factory door pods, and infinity kappa tweeters in factory dash mounts.

Am running a 4 channel E-Audio amp, which powers 2 x 8" RE Audio subs, and also the front components.

The whole idea of it was to make the system look factory (i.e no aftermarket door pods, no tweeters hanging off the pillars etc) and to get a really high quality clean, well balanced sound. The idea behind it was to keep it simple, use only one set of excellent components in factory locations. This meant all the treble/mid bass would come from in front of you, and sound waves from factory locations would hit you at almost the same time. I am strongly opposed to having anything other than bass coming from behind you - you don't go to a concert and turn your back to the stage!

Anyway, we had two options with the subs. I could lose my spare tyre (or go to a space saver), and make up a complete boot floor to house the amp and subs. This would be made from MDF and would have probably weighed quite a bit. Option two was to make a fibreglass box - this is what we chose. Hennie took a mould of the left hand side of the boot (bigger cavity than the right hand side) and went to work fibreglassing. The box weighs about 1kg plus the MDF front face on it. It is sealed for clarity, however can port it later if i choose. Hennie made up a carpeted MDF amp mount to go onto the back of the single back seat. This meant the amp had enough air flow to keep cool, yet didn't take up much space in the boot. The overall final product was an excellent sound. The treble and mid range coming from where it should, loud, clear and crisp, and a punchy yet loud bass coming from the boot. Big bang for such small and few speakers!

The carpet on the box and amp mount look slightly off in the photos, the match is much better in person. Since we did this, a few other corrado owners have asked Hennie to do the same for their cars.

That's a neatly done install :D . I have a 10" in a sealed box in the same place as your 2 8"s, and amps fixed to the back of both rear seats. Leaves most of the boot clear and great for practicality.