Sign in to follow this  
MrP

General Corrado Condition - What to expect?

Hi,

I'm after my first Corrado (probably a 16v or G60) so realistically I'm looking accross all the age ranges, but prefereably a late spec car.

After viewing a few examples I've noticed quite a bit of surface rust on all of them, usually the rust is at the bottom of the doors, or in and around the lights and indicators on the front wings.

Is this a common problem, am I just having bad luck or even just being too picky? I've always had Polo's (1989-1994) and never had rust problems like i've seen on these raddo's!

Rust can show up in a few places on the Corrado but in normally out of sight places - external bodywork doesn't generally rust unless it has had bad accident repair done.

Should definately be no rust around the indicators / fog lights as the front bumper is plastic!! :)

Yeah, all the fog lights have been fine, but mainly on the front wings and side indicators.

I'm real picky aboyt bodywork you see!

Oh sorry - side repeaters. It's late and i'm tired :D

Yeah, that is one of the spots that goes from time to time. Keep looking though as there are plenty of straight Corrado's out there and excessive rust really isn't the norm.

If they're original panels and haven't had accident repair they shouldn't rust.

Corrados as a whole are not known for rust tbh, apart from the battery tray and sometimes you'll find a bit under the spoiler - other than that there shouldn't be any really, they were all put together by hand so got a good deal of underseal 8)

The bottoms of the wings do rot out on some cars. Filler necks can go, front ends get stone chipped. As Walesy says, the panel with the number plate lights below the spoiler does rust. Battery trays rust away also.

Yeah the front end is prone to stone chips due to its design, cant say ive ever seen or heard of a rado with a rusty filler neck though! :eek:

Thanks, for the info guys,

Made me feel a bit better as I thought it was the norm! Nearly bought one with a slight bit of rust around the front wings and sills today, glad I didn't! I shall keep looking!

Yeah the front end is prone to stone chips due to its design, cant say ive ever seen or heard of a rado with a rusty filler neck though! :eek:

Mud and cack builds up between the metal panel and the rubber "boot" in the filler neck I believe. It's not the tank more ther rear quarter that suffers.

Like I say, I cant say i've ever seen or heard of that happen on a rado, i'm not sure that it's a common problem as such :shrug:

Definitely worth checking all of these spots though nowadays, as they aren't getting any younger :(