Sign in to follow this  
Corvr6

OBX Racing LSD, AVOID!

It’s been a long while since I posted on this forum a few years in fact, but I can’t contain my annoyance any longer over an OBX Racing LSD VW 02A VR6 (89-98), I bought off EBay. :cuckoo:

The manufacturing tolerances are so poor for what is really a mission critical part, I can compare it to something that Wallace and Grommit might have made, in a plastercine world I’m sure it would fit and work flawlessly. :mad2:

In the real world though, from what I have seen, and googled about it I would hope to spare anybody else the trauma and anguish that comes with these diffs. :shock:

They cost less than half that of the Quaife but don’t include bearings, bolts or sealants. They look the same as a quaife at first glance with a slightly less polished look and feel. :scratch:

The quality problem I found is three fold really;

OBX LSD 4mm.gif[/attachment:2ek1csfp]

1) The diff is too “long” to fit in the case approx 2mm, as the “length” I refer to is determined by the distance between the bearings that sit on each side of the diff shaft. :(

2) Because of the increased “length” the crown wheel is approx 2mm off, and catches on a bearing in the gearbox housing. :mad2:

The solution is to remove this excess length by accurately (OBX look up the meaning sometime soon! :censored: ) machining it away from under the Speedo gear, as shown on the picture, and cutting the Speedo gear as well, (as its only plastic).

Also taking about the same length off the shaft at that end too.

This will reduce the “length” between the bearing and the crown wheel and resolve both problems. :D

3) I have also discovered that the diff should be disassembled and a washer and bolt repair kit fitted to replace the OBX items as they are, you guessed it, inferior. :bad-words:

Kit available, see below.

The warranty is a chocolate fireguard because if you don’t machine it, you can’t fit it, and if it develops a fault the cost of the diff is a fraction of the strip down/rebuild. It must be returned to the US, with a receipt from an authorised reseller, and at your cost. (By the way UK Customs want an extra £66 for the import!). :bad-words: :censored: :onfire:

The diff is now fitted, :) and seems to be doing what it’s supposed to, but it’s early days, maybe a trackday at Snetterton next week will prove its worth! :dance:

In conclusion then my advice:

Avoid - OBX Racing LSD VW 02A VR6 (89-98)

Avoid – OBX

Avoid – OBX Resellers

Avoid – Trying to save a few quid by doing it cheaper. :nono: Pay now or pay later means more to me every time I hear it!

Recommend – Fit a Quaife, ideally by the Pro’s, I would recommend Stealth for anything, and so wished I hadn’t been such an impatient cheapskate now. :notworthy:

I found this Technical drawing of a quaife for illustration.

http://www.quaife.co.uk/shop_files/QDF8R20931.jpg

Recommend – If you have bought an OBX and not yet fitted it, return it if possible or fit a repair kit first from http://rbryant.freeshell.org/obx_washers.htm

(Sound guy and trustworthy) :salute:

Recommend – Richard at R M Clutch Services, Peterborough. http://www.yell.com/ucs/HomePageAction.do

If you turn up with an OBX LSD, it may be fitted where the sun don’t shine, for free!

Other quality makes would be surely welcome, very talented, helpful guy. :salute: :clap:

Peloquin is best, new cost me £457 inc delivery/vat/duty

...and comes with warranty and fitting kit

Quaife are based about 2 minutes from my house :D always a nice selection of machinery outside their "hidden" premises, porka turbo and an Aston last time i went past

:? Bloody ell, not good. I thought OBX were quite good, but I guess we can all be duped by shiney bits and cheap prices.

Quaife have been making their patented diff for donkeys years, with very few reported failures. Personally for me, it's the only diff worth considering. Rather stupidly of Quaife, they only filed a UK patent, which is why Peloquin came along and copied it (exactly).

It costs what it does because you're buying first rate materials and years of experience.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

After some enthusiastic B roading, :roll: , I can only compare the increased traction as close to driving an AWD as you can get from a FWD car, an LSD is absolutely awesome! :clap:

I have also completed a track day at Snetterton and found the xtra traction essential for increasing cornering speed on entry and exit, now it's fun driving in the wet! :norty:

I may have been harsh on the quality of build but rightly so I believe, unless anybody know's whether the box's in the US are differant somehow? :confused4:

If you have a degree in laithing, happy to strip the diff apart to fit the washer repair kit, and add the bearings and bolts, and the import duties, with little chance of returning a faulty unit if discovered after fitting then I could recommend them. :lol:

I was quite close to buying one of theses OBX LSD's.

But after researching on vwvortex i decided not to take the risk.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Hello.

Have you got any further info on the OBX LSD. Is it still running?

Have you had any other issues with it?

Thanks.

Jared

At the moment it is still running. :o I mainly use the car for track days, so it gets a lot of abuse. :norty: I have heard since that these make of diffs are really suited to higher powered spec cars, which may explain why i have had a crown bolt shear and rupture the box. :( It did highlight the fact that the bearings were about to let go, so got replaced again.The diff has now been professionally welded to the crown wheel as well as the bolts, and touch wood, 3 track days later is still performing.Although the diff does it's job well on the track, I still wouldn't reccomend fitting to a Rado becasue of the fitment issues I encountered. :nono: Pay the extra few quid now and get a quaife or peloquin or don't and pay later! :wink: