Sign in to follow this  
Merstham_VR6

VR6 oil temperature displays - - -

Good morning!

I have a small problem, well my car does ;-)

My oil temperature reading on the MAF has suddenly started to display - - - as appose to the oil temperature... I've not yet investigated the problem but wondered if anyone has experienced the same, if so what was the problem/fix.

Simon

might sound like an obvious point but you know it does this before it reaches 50 degrees right?! :wink:

might sound like an obvious point but you know it does this before it reaches 50 degrees right?! :wink:

Never displays the temperature, displays - - - all day long...

I'd guess at wiring mate. The senders for oil pressure/temp etc are mounted on to of the oil filter housing, I'd check that a wire hasn't snapped and that's why you're not getting a reading.

I'd guess at wiring mate. The senders for oil pressure/temp etc are mounted on to of the oil filter housing, I'd check that a wire hasn't snapped and that's why you're not getting a reading.

yep, check the wiring and maybe replace the sensor. Think there about £8-9 from VW. Its the one closes to the block on the oil filter housing.

Excellant, thanks I will take a look...

I've just also discovered my engine/rad fans are not comming on, the car had a new Radiator and 2 x fans units a year ago. I've checked the fuses which appear fine. Fuse 19 in the fuse box is 30amp, the 20amp and 50amp in the conrol unit by the water expansion tank are also fine... Car is a 1995 N registered vehicle.

Any help would be greatfully recieved.

I gave up on looking for the reasons as to why the fan's weren't working and took my car to my local garage who are very good. They found the problem to be an earth cable that earth's the fan's electrical system, I believe it's bolted to the the chassis underneath the washer bottle behind the battery. Anyway they soldered a new connector on to the earth wire, replaced the washer bottle and all is now working...

I was testing it the other evening and found the water cooling system is very good. The needle doesn't really move from the half way mark on the water temp gauge, all appears very stable.

Still need to look into the reasons why I'm not getting an oil temp reading... :D