Sign in to follow this  
sparks

power steering pump

hi guys and girls :D

i having a go at changing my power steering pump next week as it clicking like a possezed typist (and its getting worst)

it looks a simple enough job two hoses couple of bolts but i did spot what looks like a water hose connection on the front of it with a jubliee clip securing the hose has this got a water feed to it ?

other than that any else to watch out for im mechcanial minded :clap: but always like to ask before i do a job for the first time !!

cheers

stu :salute:

whenever i've tried to remove the hoses from a PAS pump they have sheared, so be careful.

They're also about £100+ from VW. Each.

yeah and i noticed the one run along the front up passed the battery and down onto a metal pipe which i guess goes to the rack

you reacon leave it to a garage to do just incase i shear something and im struck with no transport

doing the pump isn't difficult, I'm assuming it's not on a VR6.

the jubilee clip hose is simply the feed hose from the reservoir and is not under pressure so doesn't have a pressure fitting.

the pump to rack hose/pipe varies slightly from model to model but all have the same threaded fittings at either end and I've never had much trouble with them. the main problem with the pumps seems to be the failure(or rather sticking) of the pressure valve inside them which can sometimes be freed off by simply changing the fluid. The bearings do eventually go in them over time though but they usually do well over 100K, more like 150K.

yeah its a G60

thanks for the info on the jubliee clipped hose

the pas pump used to only click/tick at 1500 but know its on tick over aswell so i do think the bearings are shafted well and truly

the car done about 100K so its about time for the pump to go already had the charger off and checked over by Midland Vw who said its all fine and well put togethier

the more i think about it i might get them to change the pas pump and fit my oil cooler aswell mmmmmmm!!!!!