Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Which Car?

Ok, the decision is virtually made (practicality and financial reasons) so don't ask!

Yes this will mean bye bye Corrado! :(

I've been looking all day at cars and going back tomorrow to have a closer look at 2-3 of them.

Will do 14k miles a year so I'm sticking with derv but wanted a sporty version.

Prices are approx as I haven't started that part yet.

£17,000 - Seat Leon Fr TDI-170

£19,000 - Skoda Octavia vRS - TDI-170

£20,500+ - VW Golf GT TDI-170 (new one due in Jan)

Going to properly look at the Leon tomorrow but the inside of the Octavia was very nice, better than the Golf. Need 5 doors too.

Had a look at the Megane DCi 175 but interior was crap!

421215298_df70f2b64d.jpg?v=0

skoda_octavia_vrs_29_07_05.jpg

golf6amsly6.png

2nd the Octavia. Convinced my mother to get a VRs TDi, which she picked up a few weeks ago and loves it. (plus I get to play with it too on trips home)

Only downside so far has been the daft central locking system on them, that makes it awkward to actually unlock the doors. :scratch:

I've got an Octy TDI - just clocked over 2k miles today :D It gets better the more I drive it.

The SEAT will rattle to pieces and the mkVI is.... well..... :?

Octy FTW

I imagine the Golf would be the sensible new buy.

I really dont like the cheap interiors of the Octavia's. We have them as company cars on our work 'fleet' (3 cars :D ) Nice drive though.

Had a diesel Leon as a hire car on holiday and bar a couple of cheap looking plastics inside I couldnt fault it. Loved the looks, loved the drive it was great!

I would never by one myself :D , but i reckon this would be a cracking drive!

renault.jpg

Personally id go for a year old or so 330d rather than a newer smaller car but thats just me.

Depreciation will be less as cars take the biggest hit in the first 12 or so months.....

Too small I'm afraid.

Needs to be all family sized etc etc!

Found a Seat Leon FR550 TDI CR170 for £13,050!

I really dont like the cheap interiors of the Octavia's. We have them as company cars on our work 'fleet' (3 cars :D ) Nice drive though.

Have you got the vRS as comp cars? The interior is superb! Just about the best seats I've ever sat in 8)

I would defo go Octy or Leon. No brainer with the price vs the Golf. Think the Leon looks nicer, but the Octy will be better built. The visibility in the Leon is also pretty poor.

Forgot to say- did you see Fifth Gear last night? Took a mechanic nearly 50 mins to change a light bulb in the Megane. Some Renault garages were charging upwards of £200 to change a bulb! Absolutely stoooopid design :bonk:

Have you got the vRS as comp cars? The interior is superb! Just about the best seats I've ever sat in 8)

TBF no we havent. We have the 'top of the range' 4WD diesel models.

Must admit the new VRS seats look a lot better than the old ones. Interior still looks very cheap IMO for a £19k car sorry. I am sure they are kept looking that way to some degree by the VAG group. Which is a shame. Even a decent colour pallet would work wonders.

Forgot to say- did you see Fifth Gear last night? Took a mechanic nearly 50 mins to change a light bulb in the Megane. Some Renault garages were charging upwards of £200 to change a bulb! Absolutely stoooopid design :bonk:

Thats why we dont have Renaults as company cars anymore LOL. Almost laughable that light bulb episode. Unless you own one... :gag:

Well I can get both cars (oct&Leon) for about the same price (circa £16,300) so no difference there!

One difference I have found thats maybe a clincher is that the vRS comes with the new CR170 derv engine whereas the Leon is sticking with the PD one until facelift time next year.

Well I can get both cars (oct&Leon) for about the same price (circa £16,300) so no difference there!

One difference I have found thats maybe a clincher is that the vRS comes with the new CR170 derv engine whereas the Leon is sticking with the PD one until facelift time next year.

If you dont mind me asking is this your own money or is it a company car?

My own money.

£4000 deposit and around £250-£260 a month for 3 years.

http://www.perrys.co.uk/seat-leon-2.0-1 ... /new/75435

http://www.drivethedeal.com - Know someone that has bought through these before. You actually buy from the dealer, they just introduce both parties.

Stick your brief details in and you can see the prices online inc options. All brand new for the dealer. This is whos doing the Oct for £16,300ish with my options. My 2 local Skoda dealers couldn't come close.

Drive the deal is very good for getting best price on a new car from a UK dealer without all the haggling grief.

Have to say if it is your own money are you not tempted to get a 1 year old sub 5k mile: BMW 320D or Audi A3 170 S-Line Quattro, A4 S-line etc :confused4: You have everything to gain and only a one year warranty to lose?

i just cant understand why people buy brand new cars,

What exactly do you gain out of buying a brand spanker over a 1 yr old car?

Unless you have more money than sense or you just like the idea of losing all that dollar in depreciation then buy something better and 1 yr old, no brainer really.

Sorry but give me this over any leon hatch thingamy all day long.....

media?id=752631372

i just cant understand why people buy brand new cars,

What exactly do you gain out of buying a brand spanker over a 1 yr old car?

Unless you have more money than sense or you just like the idea of losing all that dollar in depreciation then buy something better and 1 yr old, no brainer really.

Sorry but give me this over any leon hatch thingamy all day long.....

media?id=752631372

I agree but you wouldnt get a new shape 330D for £17k :wink: Edited to add not with good spec and low miles anyway.

that 330d is the same price as a Octavia VRS which was one of the cars the OP was considering at 19k.

You can get a 1yr old full spec 330D with less than 15k miles on it for 19k......

Basically I do have a bit of money to burn.

Please read carefully as it explains my reasoning!

I can keep the Corrado & the Kangoo (running 2 cars). I've worked out that with both insurances and repairs (esp to the Corrado) I spend a minimum of £290 to keep them going. This is before you include any engine rebuilds or superchargers to the Corrado which just for the rebuild works out to £250 p/m over a year!

Then factor in that we were going to have to save up about £4k and swap her ageing Corsa for the family car and you can add another £166 p/m (over 2 years) to the monthly budget.

Forgetting having to save up £4k for changing her car I'd easily spend £350+ p/m on the Corrado & Kangoo! I know I don't have to rebuild the VR6 but I would if I kept it!

I am spending money on a car but rather than spend £350 p/m on a van for work and a nice Corrado I'd rather spend £250 p/m on a brand new Octavia vRS with no repair bills. Add in the fact a family 5 door, much safer car is needed now, then its a no brainer.

Oh and you can get much better finance rates (esp on PCP) with new cars, used cars cost more in interest. If I was buying outright then maybe but privately I couldn't finance it, standard HP would be too much on £17k unless its done over 5 years, which is too long.