Sign in to follow this  
corradophil

Knocking from N/S Front Mk4 Golf 1.8t

It's been a while since I last posted on here, having sold the Corrado last year, but I'm hoping you can help me out with this one.

My Mk4 Golf 1.8t has a knocking noise from the front N/S when the front N/S wheel goes over drain covers, small bumps etc.

It has 1 month old Koni STR T suspension (uprated dampers and -35mm springs) and I've tried the following:

New top mounts and bearings.

New anti-roll bar mount bushes.

The clearnance between the anti-roll bar and driveshafts is around 60mm. These definately have not hit each other, even the dirt on both components is unmarked.

I removed both anti-roll bar drop links, made sure the anti-roll bar was not able to knock and tested it, but the knocking was still the same, so it is not anti-roll bar related.

New lower ball joint.

New track rod complete with track rod end.

New Audi TT rear bushes for the front wishbones. (Front bushes are showing no signs of damage.

Checked every bolt related to suspension and steering is tight - all are fine.

Removed dog bone mount and checked this is ok (I fitted powerflex bushes last year).

Checked tighteness of the N/S gearbox mount bolts which are accessible with the airbox removed.

All CV joint gaitors are good, and the the backlash in the drivshafts is normal.

I cannot feel any play in the wheel bearing.

The exhaust is clear of all bodywork etc, and all mounts are in good condition including the centre one which I've seen broken on a few of these now.

All bodywork in this area appeas as new - I cannot find any broken spot welds or other damage.

The next thing I will try is swapping the front struts left to right to see if the knocking is strut related. The O/S is perfectly silent, even when driving over rough ground.

So, what have I missed? I have spent a lot of time (and money) trying to locate the cause of this, but I cannot find a thing wrong.

Decided to rebuild the N/S strut last night, and could find nothing wrong.

The damper works exactly as it should, the spring isn't hitting anything.

I'm out of ideas now. :(