Sign in to follow this  
rodenal

Loosing coolant - Updated, new problem

-my 2.0 16v seems to be losing quite a bit of coolant over the last week it's been needing to be topped up every couple of days.

There are no HG signs that i can see, oil cap is fine no steam runs fine

I've had a look from the engine bay, cant get underneath the car till the weekend and cant find anything that could lose so much coolant.

When i run the car, then stop loosen the tank cap a little, some coolant appears on the ridge of the bottle, could this be my problem? are the bottles prone to failing?

Pics attached of the possible areas i've found so far, but tbh i dont think these are causing my problem - any pointers on where else to look appreciated

Not the bottles but the caps are known to fail - especially if they're the old black type of cap. If you don't have one already, i'd suggest you go to VW and get one of the newer blue types of cap.

Nice cheap and easy place to start on diagnosing the problem!

i've read about that, but there is definately no coolant coming out through the cap seals so i kinda discounted that one, i'll maybe change it anyway but i really dont think it's the problem.

the coolant temp seems ok too, sits about 90 on motorway and goes up to about 104 in traffic

Mine has a leak at this hose under the distributer ........well not the hose exactly....the plastic bit that joins the block that the hose joins onto........i have a replacement sitting in the glovebox......been there months now :cuckoo: ......must get round to fitting it soon........or just keep topping the system up :D

I've got exactly the same issue...

Get a New VAG cap not a GSF/Euro one... I went that route and the pattern parts are different... Vag one is about £7

I bought a new bottle as mine was really gunked inside too! Will be getting Samco's as well just to be doubly sure.

In my case I think it's the rad as I can see white deposits behind the fan...

Best thing is wipe all the suspect areas clean and keep and eye on them, coolant stains will indicate where to look.

Have you checked the matrix isn't weeping too? (damp carpets?)

Yeah checked carpets and they're all fine, i'm gonna get underneath the car and look for any obvious leaks, then clean the hoses as suggested and monitor them over a few days or so.

Weird thing is the car has started to splutter into life for a second or two the last few days, doubt it's related but i'll fix the coolant issue first the move on just incase it clears up!

The areas all highlighted are common for giving you problems. Check it when it's cold first thing in the morning, and when it's warm.

Also try sticking a sheet of cardboard under the car to see if any drips make it onto it.

The flange on the end of the head often leaves coolant on top of the gearbox.

Found my leaks

one at the themostat so gonna put a new one and o ring in, but i'm also gonna replace the T pipe that sits just infront of it as im not convinced the rubber there is up to the job anymore, i'll get the stat from GSF but im assuming the pipe will be a VW only part?

Another at what appears to be the pipe that leads to the heater matrix, at the expansion bottle side of the engine. This one is really really minor so i'm thinking i'll just replace the gasket here, cant see any need to replace the plastic end piece of the pipe unless they're known for failing?

Ok so i've phoned vw for part numbers and a little confusion has arisen.

The pipe which i assumed was coming from the thermostat apparently isnt - i'm talking about the pipe that comes off the front of the head, into a little Y piece, which then goes to the top rad hose and then down to what must be the water pump.

I jsut assumed the thermostat was in behind this pipe, but according to the guy at VW the stat is showing as sitting just infront of the water pump, is this correct?

It doesnt matter to me either way but i was gonna replace the thermostat as well as the Y pipe and gasket whilst i was taking bits off anyway, but if it doesnt sit in there i guess i'll not bother!

If anybody has ETKA it'd be a massive help if they could check these part no's for me (I couldnt find them on Vagcat)

027121139A (Gasket)

027121133E (Y pipe)

1H0819019 (Gasket at right hand side of head, pipe goes to heater matrix)

I jsut assumed the thermostat was in behind this pipe, but according to the guy at VW the stat is showing as sitting just infront of the water pump, is this correct?

Yes just about, the thermostat sort of fits into the water pump unit and the pipe covers it up

No idea about part numbers , sorry :D

What a bloody nightmare this has become

Changed pipe and gasket (what an incredibly inaccessible space it's in) and put gasket seal on, tightened eveythign back up and low and behold after half an hour of driving water has started pishing out the top bolt of the Y pipe.

Quite annoyed about this as it was seated and sealed fine - i'm wondering if i've maybe used the wrong kind of gasket seal? Just used a blue non hardening one, it's supposed to be fine with water tho so i'm a little confused