Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

Driven - new Scirocco

Got my first proper drive today.

Manual in red with black cloth interior.

Interesting to see it parked on tarmac in a real life situation. Habe to be honest and say that it looks better than I remembered but still far from sold on it. Head on from the front is when its at its best - pretty aggressive looking.

Interior is dire when in cloth - yes, its solid and ergonomically sound but theres no sense of occassion, only thing that makes it feel sporty is the poor visibility, you could be sitting in a saloon car otherwise.

Driving experience is pretty impressive - great engine note, felt genuinely quick whilst still being refined. Great steering feel, turn in precise without being over sharp. Ride was pretty firm but very well controlled and not at all crashy. Has far more grip that the 200PS will never really trouble it, didn't have the chance to find some decent country roads but guessing it will be pretty foolproof but still fun on the right kind of roads.

Overall, more impressed than I thought I'd be but seeing as though you surely buy a coupe on its looks as much as anything else I'm not sure I'd buy one.

Cars are starting to filter through to dealers now so might be worth taking a trip down to your local site and having a look.

Jim - pity Avis won't have a Scirocco for hire for your Karmann trip - much more fun than a diesel estate

Definitely feels tauter than the Golf GTi - as if everything has been firmed up 10% - subtle but enough to put clear water between them, a Golf GTi with decently tied down suspension would probably be as good to drive though.

The disappointing thing is that I parked it next to a Passat CC and I muchh prefer the styling of that

That would be my main problem handing over £21k when you can get a 10k mile 2 year old loaded Golf for £13k. That would leave you enough left over for 4 Corrado's :wink: :D

Did you ask about a forthcoming R model?

Certainly will not be a V6 model, unlikely to see 4Motion make an appearance either, brand hierachy means that there cannot be any real crossover with the TT

Certainly will not be a V6 model, unlikely to see 4Motion make an appearance either, brand hierachy means that there cannot be any real crossover with the TT

Thats pants. A wide arch, 4wd 300bhp Scirocco would be a whole lot more appealing :D

Oh well lets hope a Corrado coupe see's light of day soon with at least 400bhp at circa £35k And here's hoping I have £35k spare LOL

Jude here really...

At Tatton we were asked to provide our C's for a display of Sciroccos and Corrados at a dealers next Sunday for their launch of the new Scirocco and Passat.

Car showroom will be emptied of all cars and have just the display 'original' Scirocco and Corrados the dealer has sourced plus the new models... and we get free coffee and pastries all day :)

We will get a test drive but have been told it will be with a salesman as the car will be on trade plates. Will let you know what we think of it Andy.

Jim - pity Avis won't have a Scirocco for hire for your Karmann trip - much more fun than a diesel estate

Hah! A Laguna's costing enough :| Still - money saved on fuel can be spent on beer tokens :)

Sounds like an interesting motor though and still have yet to see one in the flesh. I'm sceptical that it can provide the same sense of occasion I get when I hop into my Corrado and I think it'll suffer from the same problem that most modern cars have - they all feel clinical, precise, and somewhat soulless.

I'll have to try and twist my dealers arm for a test drive - i've spent enough with them at the parts desk! :)

in my mind i'm already really disappointed with the new scirocco, buts that the way cars are these days, not many cars now remind me of a corrado. Maybe a mustang or something has the aggresive looks, but i still miss square cars

I wonder if a cheeky test drive will be easy to arrange at VW... you know... point out the window at the Corrado and they'll be easy to fool into handing me the keyfob... :twisted:

Most sales execs wouldn't know what you were pointing at if you did point at a Corrado - sad but true.

Volkswagen sites need to log every person who goes into a site, they then need to aim to deliver test drives to 60% of those people because "bums on seats sells cars".

This is what I get paid to do, if a sales exec is doing there job correctly if you walk into a Retailer you should have no problem getting a test drive.

Best of all are Inchcape sites, they should all have at least 3 test drive routes to choose from of different lengths / roads etc, the longest should be about 20-25 miles, its for the customer to choose what test drive route they want to take.

Most sales execs wouldn't know what you were pointing at if you did point at a Corrado - sad but true.

Volkswagen sites need to log every person who goes into a site, they then need to aim to deliver test drives to 60% of those people because "bums on seats sells cars".

This is what I get paid to do, if a sales exec is doing there job correctly if you walk into a Retailer you should have no problem getting a test drive.

Best of all are Inchcape sites, they should all have at least 3 test drive routes to choose from of different lengths / roads etc, the longest should be about 20-25 miles, its for the customer to choose what test drive route they want to take.

Only one option really then not three - 20-25 miles. :D