Sign in to follow this  
flusted

CAI Cold feed for airbox guide

Just finished my cold air feed into a standard g60 airbox but the method will work on all airboxes.

Start by Removing the carbon canister if you havent already so you have a nice big hole under your airbox.

Then cut a hole in your lower half of airbox big enough for suitable tubing (i used a drainpipe bend)

newradobits011.jpg

I then glued it in place

newradobits015.jpg

the bend pokes through the hole perfect

newradobits012.jpg

Then add a length of flexi pipe ( got mine from scrappy from a land rover dash blower!)

carbits001.jpg

You could then have the hose inlet down in the lower bumper grill like this

carbits002.jpg

But i decided i wanted to make a scoop to channel as much cold air as possible, so i cut up a brake cooling duct.

coldfeed001.jpg

coldfeed002.jpg

This idea was ok but there was too much of a kink in the hose once fitted so i rummaged around and found another bit of drain pipe and fibreglassed it into the cut down brak duct.

rado017.jpg

rado013.jpg

Then a touch of filler to smooth it out

rado014.jpg

rado026.jpg

Then a lick of black paint

rado025.jpg

rado028.jpg

rado029.jpg

The angle now lines up perfect with CC hole and means i could shorten the flexi hose.

What do you think?

is the brake cooler from your car? (dunno if they have em or not) or have you got that from elsewhere aswell. also i bet it will look good in situ and when you getting it fitted. does it just fit straight back behind the grill in the bumper?

yes its a brake duct from early 16v as i believe later cars didnt have them. It mounts with the orginal screw behind the bumper grill. will get situ pics later

Whenever I see a thread like this I wonder - is there any benefit to this?

Is the air actually any cooler than from just behind the headlight? - i see you have a temp probe hooked up - did you test the temp of the air from behind the headlight before you started?

Are any benefits of colder air (if it is any colder) negated by the air having to be sucked up that winding pipe (long and not very smooth)?

I heard on here that someone had a BMC CDA hooked up and tried it on the rollers with and without a "cold feed" pipe, without it made more torque and power, the pipe was acting as a restriction.

Whenever I see a thread like this I wonder - is there any benefit to this?

Is the air actually any cooler than from just behind the headlight? - i see you have a temp probe hooked up - did you test the temp of the air from behind the headlight before you started?

Are any benefits of colder air (if it is any colder) negated by the air having to be sucked up that winding pipe (long and not very smooth)?

I heard on here that someone had a BMC CDA hooked up and tried it on the rollers with and without a "cold feed" pipe, without it made more torque and power, the pipe was acting as a restriction.

I can appreciate the engineering of this. However I have run my VR with BMC without its right headlamp in and there was no noticible difference at all. In fact I am 100% sure the car runs better with a K&N panel in the std airbox.

Matt

P.S I dont know how having a cold air feed would help you on the rollers! :D but I can assure you there was no difference at speeds between 10 and 120mph :wink:

Well air is supposed to be coldest 6" from the floor which puts my cold air intake in just the right place! TBH im not that fussed as i have a FMIC and water injection :norty: .

The airbox still has its original intake for air, im just supplying more cold air to the box.

newradobits011.jpg

I am in the process of installing a cold air feed and have a question:- On my air box the connecting flange between the back of the headlight and the air box is missing. I propose to blank the old air intake hole completley so that the cold air infeed is the only way into the airbox. Is this a good idea? :scratch:

Nice bit of work there mate, personally id never run a CAI so low down, my cars pretty damn low and wouldnt want to risk getting ANY water in there!!

you wont get water up there, its to tighter angle and its not the sole feed for the box

So does that mean I should keep the old infeed open? I thought it would be better to block the old headlight air infeed off to prevent warm air from being sucked in?????

you wont get water up there, its to tighter angle and its not the sole feed for the box

So does that mean I should keep the old infeed open? I thought it would be better to block the old headlight air infeed off to prevent warm air from being sucked in?????

I wouldnt worry about warm air being sucked in via the front of the airbox. If you're driving only cold air will be forced in via the front of the airbox.

yep as above, stops it sucking only through the lower cold feed which prob would suck up water if that was its only feed