Sign in to follow this  
donnyburger

Coolant Loss

Hi people, had my Corrado VR6 for a year and a half now (ABV), and recently had an oil leak from the oil pressure sensor on the oil filter housing, which I replaced and sorted the leak. Along with this I replaced the oil temp. sensor next to it.

Since then, I have had a blank readout from the dash regarding oil temp (- ---). Which is worrying me, could it just be a break in the wire?

Along with this, it's started drinking coolant like Ollie Reed at 4am, with no visible signs of leakage.

No drips / leaks on the floor or in the engine bay,

No white smoke,

No lumpiness whilst running,

No oil / water contamination.

A few people have suggested head gasket failure, but I'd like to try to eliminate other potential issues without spendind a small fortune and stripping the engine.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Hi people, had my Corrado VR6 for a year and a half now (ABV), and recently had an oil leak from the oil pressure sensor on the oil filter housing, which I replaced and sorted the leak. Along with this I replaced the oil temp. sensor next to it.

Since then, I have had a blank readout from the dash regarding oil temp (- ---). Which is worrying me, could it just be a break in the wire?

Along with this, it's started drinking coolant like Ollie Reed at 4am, with no visible signs of leakage.

No drips / leaks on the floor or in the engine bay,

No white smoke,

No lumpiness whilst running,

No oil / water contamination.

A few people have suggested head gasket failure, but I'd like to try to eliminate other potential issues without spendind a small fortune and stripping the engine.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

You can get a ''sniffer' test done, to see if the headgasket has gone, wouldnt cost much at all id imagine. The lack of read out on the dash could be as you say a broken wire or a duff sensor.

Sorry i cant be of more help.

I've got a load of coolant in the pasenger side footwell (bizarrely behind the passenger seat) that's come from somewhere, it's not water, 'cos I've tasted it. Any ideas as to how it may have got there? Could this be where it's getting to somehow?

That'll be your heater matrix! I wouldn't go round drinking coolant either - its toxic!

i have this issue atm. Water consumption is something like 500 ml every 200 miles, although this too varies. I have a nearly new header tank, rad, gruvenpart crack pipe, thermo housing (all parts) & stat, seals, new head gasket, main water pump and seal. and there doesnt seem to be any residue on any of the pipes. I thought it may just be leaking from the header tank cap, although i replaced this about 2 years ago. A bit stuck, dont really know what else to look at. Hoses and clips are all ok, no splits, no excessive pressurising of the header tank, no mayo, absolutely no indication as to where the water could be going.

Theres also nothing to suggest the matrix going either. :shrug:

i've got a spare header tank cap which i'll try and see, but otherwise any other suggestions?