stu

Bentley manual & Internet Explorer v6

I purchased a copy of a Bentley Corrado manual some time ago, and have only just got around to installing it.

The program loads ok, shows menus etc, but doesn't show diagrams/write ups. When you click on an item, another window opens, but is blank??

Just wondering if anyone has had similar probs?

Oh, and i'm running XP.

Cheers in advance... :)

**mod edit** thread title altered & moved to "problems" section - stevemac

Stu,

i have a similar problem.

when i load mine the only tab that i can use is the search tab the other 2 are just blank which is a bit of a pain in the ar*e cos its not that easy to find what you are looking for! :?

its about the compatibility with Internet Explorer Version6. apparently it works fine with V5.5 but you can't downgrade as it it an intergrated part of your o/s so if you alter that at all it will make you system critically unstable and possibly not even boot!! :shock:

i would be interested if anyone has a way round these problems! is there a patch or something that you can download from somewhere??

Just as Alex says - Your problem is that the Bentley manual is designed for IE5

It will work with IE6 (standard with XP) but the manual can only be accessed via the "search" tab.

There is no patch available for IE6 - only thing to suggest is to try using it with another browser (does not work with AOL either).

I had a similar problem running it in xp I have to right click on the mouse and click refresh for all the content listings to appear it's bloomin annoying!

Yeah, i've played around with settings and compatability modes but can't get it too work quite right under IE6 - there does not seem to be any mention of this on the bently site either which is strange...

what does work is if you download and install the free Opera browser (get the version with Java) and simply just copy the address from the bar in IE accross - works a treat!

what does work is if you download and install the free Opera browser (get the version with Java) and simply just copy the address from the bar in IE accross - works a treat!

what exactly do you mean when you say copy the address from the bar in IE accross? do you mean copy the address that the Bentley Manual is showing in IE and paste it into the Opera Browser?? if you have to do this for every single page surely it defeats the object cos the links won't work when you select a topic to view when looking at the URL in the Opera browser?? :?

also any particular download location that can be trusted not to have any bugs, spyware or viruses??

also any particular download location that can be trusted not to have any bugs, spyware or viruses??

Link posted above is from the Opera website !

yeah but there is loads of different download locations for this piece of software on the site. there is the dropdown menu that has FTP Norway in it and then loads of other servers all over the place it can be downloaded from?

ok nice one! :D

noticed you have got a TR6...... kin' fast in a straight line. :shock: my dad's mate used to have one a few years back. lovely!! :D

noticed you have got a TR6...... kin' fast in a straight line. :shock: my dad's mate used to have one a few years back. lovely!! :D

Just bought it a couple of weeks ago - 150bhp (lucas fuel injection), British Racing Green. 8)

Stripping it down at my friend's body repair workshop. Needs a bit of welding, a couple of new body panels & re-spray. Engine seems okay although I'm gonna strip & re-build that as well. Should be fun for next summer - if we get any sunny days.. :lol:

Could someone please tell me how to get a Bentley CD?

CD's available on ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk

Paperback version - http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 44-8791670

Sam - not sure which car you have - this manual only covers USA spec G60's & VR6's (2.8). Some slight differences between UK & USA spec but this is the only manual available for the Corrado. Very useful but be aware that it does not cover either of the 16v engines or the 2.0 8v.

I don't get it?

when the bentley manual is opened in opera, the menu's still show, but i can't get the final pages.

I really must learn how to use this computer!! :oops:

what exactly do you mean when you say copy the address from the bar in IE accross? do you mean copy the address that the Bentley Manual is showing in IE and paste it into the Opera Browser?? if you have to do this for every single page surely it defeats the object cos the links won't work when you select a topic to view when looking at the URL in the Opera browser??

Just copy the first URL accross and browse the whole manual from the front page from there - as you should be able to do in IE!

As SteveMac says, the sites are just mirrors so should be fine or you could just get a copy off a cover disc...

When I said earlier, that I must learn to use my computer, - I meant it.

PLEASE explain to a computer muppet, how to get this working, in simple terms!!!

What am I supposed to copy, and to where and when??

Excuse me for looking thick, but I really am a computer beginer!

stu

what bit do you want help with?

using the pc and browsing on the web in general or sorting out the Bentley manual in the Opera browser??

Thanks LHD-G60.

Supercharged said to copy the 1st URL and browse the whole manual from the front page. This means nothing to me, i'm sorry to say.

As it stands, the Bentley manual will open in the Opera browser, and the menus appear, but nothing opens up.

Please could you explain this to me s l o w l y, as computers ain't my forte!! :oops:

Hmmm.... If it opens in Opera and displays the menu you should be able to navigate thru the whole manual - It sounds like you have the same prob as we have with IE?? - maybe Opera have made the same updates to there browser as MS that causes probs with the Bentley software....

I'll try the latest Opera download and see what happens...

stu,

will have a look for you and see what i get.

supercharged,

the problem with browsers is that the majority of them are designed to look different and have the same options as IE but the problem is that IE is an integrated part of the operating system so any settings you change with any browser installed on your system will be determined by the internet options in the control panel menu on your pc.

because of this the opera browser will look different and have slightly different menu options but if you go and look at your internet options in control panel they will be configured matching the exact configuration settings of the browser (such as opera) that you are using.

hence the same problem with both! even programmes like AOL, Netscape etc. use the mcrosoft os configuration cos thats the way bill gates wants it! another nice fat premium for him from all those isp's out there that want their programme to be compatible with the mocrosoft o/s!! :x

will have to load up opera and see if its any different. will also do some finding out in work as i work for a telecoms company! :D