Sign in to follow this  
waynos

g60 power loss - back to square 1

d allright i changed my gearbox last week (thanks jmc) and the car was a pleasure to drive..... for 1 day. The day after i drove to work and all was good, when i left work i accelerated away it felt like the car was being held back. As the engine warmed up it kind of got better but i could still tell there was a power loss. Next day was much of the same but worse. From cold i can put my foot to the floor and it feels like a 1 litre micra then all of a sudden it picks up and goes, at one point i was finding it hard to pull away from a 1.2 polo!

The only thing ive done so far is check my vacuum pipe to the ecu - its fine. had a look at the ecu relay and fuel pump relay - they look brand new

checked the lambda probe earth and its fine also

any ideas guys? cant even be bothered to drive the car like this

Good to hear you got the box changed Wayne. Have you tried measuring the boost pressure using the MFA?

Did you unplug the ecu and disconect the battery when you had the box off?

It's could be either a blown injector driver on the ECU board or a bad engine earth causing sensor signals to be out of range...

how do i go about checking boost pressure? When i took the gearbox out i disconnected the battery but i didnt unplug the ecu. I dont know if its related but ever since ive owned the car it doesnt like starting. takes ages of cranking then it will come to life firing on 2 then 4. It revs freely out of gear if that makes any difference

sounds like you have upset it somehow :camp: and it is in limp home mode.

Are your earths went back on properly ?

your not having much luck are you?!!

lol nah, not having a lot of luck.i always get stessed with it and think im going to sell it but whenever i go out and see it i fall in love again.The only earth i think i disturbed was the one on the side of the block , it has a metal water pipe attached to the same bolt.Theres two earth wires there - what do they go to? i also noticed i dont have an earth wire from the coil to the rocker cover (my 16v did) do i need one here?

I think there should be a large earth cable from the gearbox to the battery that you would have to remove to change it. If this isn't connected then the ecu gets spiked and the car throws a wobbly. Could have come loose after a bit of driving. would be my first port of call

As above, it sounds like the battery to the bellhousing earth is either loose or has not been connected.

That would be my first port of call.

If you have good quality jump leads, connect one from your battery earth right onto a good connection on your block and see if the engine feels any happier (maybe not too safe to drive like this so kerb side only :) ).

i checked today and it was connected for sure.it goes from the battery - to a little earth post behind the battery, then from there to the bracket on the gearbox. i took the three earths off of the engine and cleaned them up with emery paper, and also ran a new earth directly from the previously mentioned earth on the gearbox bracket straight to the engine (and the three earths lol) didnt try it out though as my dinner was calling me !

right, tried the car just now, problem is still there. i taped the throttle switch open and it ran a little bit better but its still lacking power. another strange thing that started to happen is when i do accelerate and the missfire comes the rev gauge and speedo gauge fluctuate up and dow n a bit.strange. Why o why did i bother buying another corrado

Right a little update guys, got a few things sorted.Changed the ignition switch ( chuffed cos i did it in 10 mins!)

sorted my petrol flap that kept locking itself too!

but onto bigger things i have a brand new fuel gauge sender that i was trying to fit. I yanked out the sub and amp and proceeded to take the round cap covering the fuel pump. After about 15 mins of abusing the threaded ring i got the cover off. Everything looks like brand new under there, however one of the sender wires just fell apart ( so recrimped that) then i had a look at the hoses on the pump. Turns out one of them was split so i cut that back an reconnected it. Called it a day after that as the petrol was killing my head.

ive just got back from work and thought id start the car. it fires up instantly! none of this four second cranking spluttering crap. i havent had a chance to drive the car but i wonder if this was causing my hesitation problems?

also my petrol gauge works properly now! so chuffed with that

a pic of the hose

DSC00420.jpg

Goods news mate. Keep an eye on it, but it sounds like that might have cured it...

right i thought it was fixed but nah lol. Fixing the split pipe has made a huge difference to the way it starts and runs though! Starts instantly, took it round the block litterally a minute or two of driving then as i got back to my road i booted it a little and the hesitation/missfire was back again. i Left it to idle for a bit and unplugged the lambda whilst it was running and there was no difference. is that right? is my lambda kippered? i know the coolant sensor is working because when i unplug that the revs dropped!

please guys can you help ? just driving it for that couple of minutes reminded me why i bought a corrado in the first place lol

Shame on all you G60 boys! I don't even have one, and even I know that hesitation and accelerative jerkiness can be related to the blue temp sensor, and no-one has even mentioned it :shock:

At the very least, it's worth a check. And it's an easy check at that (and a cheap replacement!) :salute:

hope this helps,

Jon.

Thoughts on this Wayne - if unplugging the lambda made no difference to the idling then the chances are the lambda is at fault. If you have access to a multimeter it is easy enough to check, let me know if you need details on how. Jon, he did mention that he has disconnected the blue temp sensor and had the revs drop (as they should) on the previous post...

might have already looked at this, but felt like trying to help you anyway.

you have checked for boost leaks right? Also have you made sure that the ecu to throttle body hose is exactly 1meter long? if its not that will give it a missfire / hesitation.

the blue temperature sender was changed! even tested it and it was fine, i havent got any boost leaks and the 1m pipe is intact. cheers for the input guys. jmc that would be great if you could tell me how to go about testing the lambda

Multimeter set to volts, stick the live probe down the purple wire on lambda plug whilst still plugged in and running, voltage should fluctuate

right ive just done a quick test, probed the purple wire and put the other probe on the engine as the other lead wouldnt reach battery (-) my multimeter was set to volts (up to 2v) i was getting a figure of 0.032 up to about 0.047 . That seems low doesnt it? thats not even a tenth of a volt! Take it the lambda is kippered? is there a better place to try an earth the meter to?

right ive just done a quick test, probed the purple wire and put the other probe on the engine as the other lead wouldnt reach battery (-) my multimeter was set to volts (up to 2v) i was getting a figure of 0.032 up to about 0.047 . That seems low doesnt it? thats not even a tenth of a volt! Take it the lambda is kippered? is there a better place to try an earth the meter to?

I presume that was with the engine running and idling and up to temp Wayne? If so that is really low, and would suggest either a broken lead or dead lambda. As long as the -ve lead is touching bare metal on the block that should be fine as an earth. You can always check by using the resistance setting on the multimeter, between the block and the earth on the battery - should be very low if the block is a good earth. Have you tried removing the 4 pin lambda plug and looking at the connections going in to that? If that looks fine then its time to get under the car and look at the lambda plug and lead itself - see if there are any breaks and then take it from there.

yea, the engine was running and warmed up. gunna double check it again tomorrow. Can i use the probe at the earth the lambda is earthed to? The connector looked fine so it looks like its time to get dirty! not looking forward to that