Jim Bowen

New calipers on exchange?

i bought a set of standard corrado calipers to refurb, so i have two sets, one on car one in garage.

halfway through refurbing them and i'm thinking by the time i buy new seals, nipples, rubber boots etc and then worry about slider pins being old ones, i could just get new ones from VW

anyone done this before? what is included with a caliper, do i need to give them back the whole lot? carrier? pins? etc or just the caliper part?

Just the caliper itself so your only getting the piston seal really with the exchange but they are so cheap i wouldn't bother refurbing, the exchange calipers are new and you can paint them to make them look new for longer...

I bought a pair for £55 exchange but this was a few years ago with a hefty discount, I think they are £35 each retail.

yeah, slider pins aren't available by themselves. you should be able to use a set from some 256s easily enough though, pretty sure they're the same and probably a little easier to find than 280s.

went to VW yesterday, the calipers (rear) are £69 each and thats exchanging the old ones. It doesn't include the slider pins, they are only availiable with the carriers and are £50 each

got some prices for individual parts for the rear calipers, as i'm now thinking i should carry on refurbing the old ones.

357 615 273 = Bleeder valve = £3.53 each caliper + vat

8D0 698 671 = Set of seals for caliper = £13.05 each caliper + vat

8E0 698 470 B = Protective sleeves for guide pins = £8.43 each caliper + vat

i work that out as £59 to do the rear calipers, i have two sets of rear brakes so hopefully i can reuse some slider pins

i know, i should of done that :(

do they use the same discs and pads as standard corrado rears? as i've already bought them

what hoses do i need?, i also have already got a mk3 golf goodridge set 6 lines, and a spare set of rear hoses (good ridge also)

i couldn't say, this is a bit old post.

in the end i just bought new mk4 calipers from VW, about £90 each