Sign in to follow this  
davidwort

headlight beam conversion for driving on continent

OK, Instruction manual has me a little confused, they seem to have flipped a LHD photo (mirror image) to show the headlight masks but the lense pattern is different on true RHD cars lenses.

The pic below shows the masks, this is the flipped LHD image I reckon

Img_4189_2.jpg[/attachment:2uu728yg]

the actual RHD lense has a smaller shape embossed on the glass, basically the same as the outer shape in the manual pic, I've outlined the manuals outer shape on the left and the actual RHD shape on my glass on the right of the pic below:

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfImg_4189.jpg[/attachment:2uu728yg]

I'm sure it doesn't matter a whole lot as long as the beam towards oncoming traffic is masked, but should I continue the mask down to the bottom of the lense as in the wrong reversed pic in the manual, or actually follow the mask lines on my lenses?

The masking in the pic looks correct to me.

The lamp in the picture is the drivers side lamp so the current masked area will be the area that directs the beam from centre towards the left (as you look out from behind the drivers seat) which is the part that will dazzle in europe, the other wedge is for directing the beam to the right, which is fine to be left.

That beside, I don't think it'll matter if you mask down to the bottom or not. I'll just be masking the area embossed on my lamps rather than per the pics shown

I'm mostly going to be getting the insulation tape out in the ferry car park I think :(

I found a whacking great roll of black sticky plastic in my garage, so I've cut some out of that, I'll bring some already cut with me toad, and a foot of the roll of stuff for anyone else if they've forgotten.

It seems to be good stuff as far as sticking and not letting the light through goes, I've got a feeling it was a roll of plastic that a machine cuts out lettering for signs from, I refuse to pay what Halfords are asking for the stuff!

£5 for a set of proper re usable deflectors in halfrauds, they just stick on in the left hand bottom corners of both headlamps to make the beam pattern negative, ie not pointing in any direction! doubt to many people will be blinded by standard corrado headlamps anyway!